Newbie with old Rider 155

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes it took a while because the air has to escape out of the same tube as you are trying to make the oil go in
And remember that is is all piston pumps and will quite happily just compress the air then let the pressure back off again rather than pushing the air out
Oil is easy to push, air is not ,
Fill the tank very slowly say 1/2" at a time
The less oil in the tank the less pressure head for the air to displace

rrew

Threads
Thanks for that heads up. I had not considered that, but the 1/2" you suggest looks to be right about at the "Full" mark on the tank.

rrew

Threads
Finally, after the entire world conspired to keep me from finishing this, it is done (I think). I was able to drain through the drain holes and then fill with 1.9 liters of oil (spec says 2.2 liters approx). I followed the bleed instructions and now it doesn't want to take any more oil, and in fact, when I drive it I have oil coming up into the tank. It runs in forward and reverse just fine. I have not mounted the mower deck yet, to keep the weight down. I will continue to monitor the tank level for a time, but am I good to go?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thank you for the update, most guys wouldn’t do that.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That I can’t say, as I’m not there to see everything for myself. Doing things like this you need to take it slow and trust your gut.

rrew

Threads
That I can’t say, as I’m not there to see everything for myself. Doing things like this you need to take it slow and trust your gut.
That is kinda what I was expecting to hear. So I will continue to monitor oil level. But now I will install the deck (with all new bearings) and give it a try without blades to see what needs replacement next. If that goes well, I have new blades to install. Of course we have been very dry this summer so I have no need of the machine at the moment. And there is nothing wrong with being a teacher. My wife is a retired teach and I happen to like her - a lot. Thanks again for your input.