New tool search

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Need: 1/2" drive impact, battery. But the catch, it needs to be stubby, not a full size one. The kobalt full size is just too big sometimes to fit where I need it, for example, needing to jerk a deck a off a time master to change the left spindle, the pulley nut was seized bad. Breaker bar wasn't cutting it. It wasn't a pain to take the deck off at all, BUT was unnecessary, if I had the correct tool.
I looked at milwaukee, but they only advertise 250ft lb of breakaway, while I found a dewalt, same size, with 450 ftlbs of breakaway. At just under 5" in total length, plus your socket...

I'm leaning hard on the dewalt. Main purpose is changing blades... kobalt doesn't have anything compact like this with the torque I want.

Craftsman Garage

Threads
I have a craftsman 1/2" brushless impact wrench. It is double the specs of the Dewalt impact and is just a little bit bigger. It's taken every single bolt off I have put it to. 1000 ft lbs breakaway torque and 750 fastening ft lbs, its a beast and its not too heavy.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ever though getting a jack to raise the mower more? I use a full size 1/2 dr Aircat impact to remove most blade screws and nuts. For ZTR HFT has a 750 lb lift that works; although, I had to remove the "H" nose piece that suppose to be for ATVs and motorcycles.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Ever though getting a jack to raise the mower more? I use a full size 1/2 dr Aircat impact to remove most blade screws and nuts. For ZTR HFT has a 750 lb lift that works; although, I had to remove the "H" nose piece that suppose to be for ATVs and motorcycles.
I can do blades fine with my mower lift, but in this case I was changing the spindle, and with the deck all of the way down, no clearance to get the rusted pulley nut off the top with my impact. It was stuck good too.
And several more instances where a stubbier impact would've been nice.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
FWIW I drop the front deck hangesr so the deck swings back closer to horizontal
However I use an yard crane not a mower lift so I can get the mower 7' up at either end if needed .