new to site and looking to buy a Zero turn mower

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Exmark mowers sure are expensive! If you would like to share your ROFL story I would love to hear it! :tongue:

OK, here goes.....my father-in-law who has had a 72" Kubota Diesel ZTR(a $12,000 mower) for about 5 years goes with me to pick up my Gravely and take it to the house. When we got there he drove it off the trailer for me and told me:
"Start out VERY slow, maybe 1/3 throttle, drive it around the yard until you get a feel for the controls and practice changing directions(it's tricky to keep from leaving divets in the grass). You must learn to move one lever slightly forward and the other slightly backward AT THE SAME TIME. This keeps the tire(if you had not pulled the other lever backwards for reverse) from being stationary, therefore when the mower turns it spins on the same spot creating the divet/twirl in the grass which looks kinda bad. It'll take some time to get the feel for it."

So after about 15 minutes, I was getting "comfortable" with the controls and thought...."this bad boy goes 10mph, I wanna see how that feels"......BAD IDEA!!! I ended up hitting a 4" pcv pipe that sticks up about 4" out of the ground where I change my septic tank field lines, with the deck breaking the pcv pipe off at the ground......freaked me out and at that point I "froze up", looked up and was headed right towards my wife's 200lb wishing well(and couldn't pull back). I hit that thing square and knocked it about 6 feet. Significant damage to the wishing well(made out of landscape lumber) but because of the commercial build of my Gravely absolutely no evidence of damage to the mower aside from a couple of mars on the paint on the front deck, wheel casters and frame. I checked the deck and it was still perfectly leveled. Fortunately, my dealer gave me some Gravely touch-up red paint:0)

Again, that speaks volumes about how well built these ZTR's are........but I guess you can imagine how embarassing that was in front of my father-in-law and how I felt about wrecking my brand new ZTR that was 15 minutes old:0) I'm just now getting where I can laugh about it...but believe me my whole family has had several bouts of rolling on the floor laughing just trying to visualize my experience since then(that would have made America's Funniest Videos.....or maybe a really good Gravely TV ad:0)

Soooooo, when you buy that Ex-Mark my advice to you is "start out VERY slow, maybe 1/3 throttle and practice until you get a good feel for the controls":0)

P.S.
The wife is still a little peeved about me ruining her 6 foot tall wishing well(the shake shingle roof is loose and the front kinda "hangs down where it hit the ground, and it's kinda "sitting on top of" the bottom two layers of 4x4 landscape timbers that came loose:0)

Threads
:laughing::laughing: Wow! I am surprised there was no damage (to the mower that is! :laughing:). It stinks you didn't get it on video....it would be the WINNER of America's Funniest Videos!! :laughing: Thanks for sharing....I am still picturing it in my mind! :tongue:

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
:laughing::laughing: Wow! I am surprised there was no damage (to the mower that is! :laughing:). It stinks you didn't get it on video....it would be the WINNER of America's Funniest Videos!! :laughing: Thanks for sharing....I am still picturing it in my mind! :tongue:

Yeah, the wishing well fit perfect right between the two front wheel forks, My father-in-law and I looked it over very closely and couldn't even find a minor dent. I could see the red paint on the wishing well and it matched up with the paint mars on the ZTR. That Gravely is one tough mower!!! BTW, my father-in-law was really nice about it and until we got back to his house(where my wife was staying with her mom while we went and got the ZTR) he never even mentioned it. When I "fessed up" to my wife about what had happened he & I started laughing and couldn't stop for 10-15 minutes. Now every time I see him he just says "pull back D, pull back" and chuckles. I hated it happened, but we'll probably laugh about this for many years to come.

den17

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a brand new Exmark Quest s-series 50" for $4275. Not sure if it qualifies as commercial but it's an Exmark. I have 1 and a half acres and was buzzing around my yard last weekend like a kid with a new bike. Can't wait til I actually have something to cut.

den17

Forum Newbie
Threads
Also thought I'd point out that Exmark is running a promo til end of year. 0% for 36 or 48 months on residential mowers. Maybe some other promos out there. Check their sites.

Threads
I bought a brand new Exmark Quest s-series 50" for $4275. Not sure if it qualifies as commercial but it's an Exmark. I have 1 and a half acres and was buzzing around my yard last weekend like a kid with a new bike. Can't wait til I actually have something to cut.

No, the Quest is a residential model, but I'm sure you will really like it! Congrats on the purchase!

Also thought I'd point out that Exmark is running a promo til end of year. 0% for 36 or 48 months on residential mowers. Maybe some other promos out there. Check their sites.
Thanks for the info!