New oil player in town

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good ol' Wally mart SuperTech SAE30 oil is now rated at API SG and off highway Diesel use. It's got StarTech's zinc in it in heavy dosages. And check out that price.

"But API SG and SH were the last PCMO service classifications where the zinc level in the engine oil was any reliable indication of anti-wear performance. ... API Classifications SL, SM and SN all contain reduced levels of phosphorus and sulphur, and therefore zinc, for catalyst protection."

1.png2.png

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I got a jug the other day. Noticed the new bottle. Looked at it and found the SG rating. Hope they keep selling this.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Who's prematurely worn out an engine by choosing the "wrong" oil?

I haven't, and I go back a ways.
Guess not many. I don't tear all of mine down and mic them out. Maybe all of us are and don't know it?? All I know is I found an SG rated oil with zinc, phosphorus and sulfur in it. My 1989 Briggs MAX 190cc engine says use SD, SE, SF and SG rated oils. (y)

slomo

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I haven't brought anything for the business from Walmart since about a year ago when Walmart decided that they would no longer accept my sales tax exemption. I am neither going to beg for Walmart to accept my tax exemption or pay sales tax when I don't have to for resell items. Besides I have switched over to full synthetics for all the equipment I service.

The only semi synthetic I use is in my truck with has a moly additive.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have 2 oils in the shop Stens SAE30 and 10w30. Push mowers get 30 unless it calls for multi-vis and snowblowers and riders get 10w30.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Let's see I have some 5w30 left, Rotella 20w50, JD J20C, Kubota UDT2 syn, Tuff Torg 15w50 syn, Kawasaki 15w50 syn, 80w90, 85w140, and even a couple bottles of 0w20 syn.

So yes I need different specs since I service a lot more than just engines so the oils I used must meet the equipment spec'd oils.

I get the Kawasaki synthetic oil just as cheap as the Mobile One at Walmart. which the Kawasaki was under $6 per quart on the last shipment including shipping charges. Walmart online don't even stock the Mobile One15w50 any more. Plus I don't have spend 1-1/2 hours going to Walmart.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Only two engine oils for me as well
Stens SAE 30 or RGS 10W 40.
The 10W 40 goes in everything that requires multigrade oil like Honda walk behinds and mostly 4 stroke hand helds.
I service a lot of Honda brush cutters with GX 22 to GX 35 engines and the commercial customers find the 10W 30 burns or blows out too fast which is a big problem when there is only 5/8 of SFA oil in there in the first place.
The rest are gear oils & hydro oils but they get bought in 5 liter bottles
The engine oil comes in 44 gallon drums , a lot lot cheaper that way .

Lawn Addict
Threads
Interesting, I see no JASO approved ratings.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
JASO rating is usually for 2 stroke oils. There are 4 stroke ratings but i don't know any oils using it.