New Member, Got as a Project

hanyoukimura

Threads
Hello everyone,

I'm rekindling my childhood hobby of tinkering with mowers and thought I'd share my progress and ask a couple questions.

This spring I put a good amount of time and effort into transforming our backyard from literally dirty and some weeds to lush grass. It's not perfect, yet, but compared to what it was it's a massive improvement. So with a nicer lawn I need a mower, since we don't have one besides my uncle, who is possessive over it.

Being on a budget, and looking for a project, I went to Craigslist to see what there was. I came across an ad for a Brute 22" Self Propelled 3-in-1 mower. Right away I wanted it because

1. It had big wheels
  2. It had a bag
  3. It was black
  4. It looked cool (big rear wheels on a long slender body just looks awesome to me and reminded me of my favorite mower I had as kid)

Guy wanted $45 originally but I talked him down to $35. Came with all of the parts and accessories, including the broken, completely disassembled motor in a Briggs box. He said it was a year old, stopped working, and the manufacturer wouldn't replace it under warranty, so he got a new one. He claimed he never hit anything, but one I inspected it at home, sure enough, I found the blade bent, flywheel cracked around the crankshaft hole, and damage to the crankshaft.

That's ok, my plan was to get a motor anyway off CL, but as luck would have it my neighbor had a free mower he'd been beating the snot out. It was very dirty and the deck's in poor shape. The air box had long been broken off and had no filter, but it fired right up anyway after sitting in his yard for a year.

So I cleaned off my Brute, gave it a nice coat of wax. Then I unbolted the motor from the donor deck and test fit. Perfect. Put back on the old deck for cleaning. Put the air box from the Brute's engine (which is very similar but has Ready Start whereas the donor has a primer), and hit it with engine degreaser and my pressure washer. Cleaned up quite well! I'll probably clean it by hand in the little nooks, then do an oil change, new spark plug, and new air filter when the proper air box mount (with primer) I have on order comes in.

Onto photos!

The day I brought it home.

IMG_8498.jpg

IMG_8499.jpg

Cleaned and waxed.

IMG_8503.jpg

IMG_8506.jpg

Parts of the Brute's Briggs and Stratton 675 Series engine.

IMG_8513.jpg

The carnage.

IMG_8516.jpg

IMG_8514.jpg

IMG_8518.jpg

IMG_8521.jpg

The donor mower.

IMG_8522.jpg

IMG_8523.jpg

IMG_8524.jpg

IMG_8525.jpg

Test fitting the engine.

IMG_8527.jpg

After a round of degreasing and pressure washing.

IMG_8529.jpg

IMG_8530.jpg

Love how the engines are so similar save Ready Start (and sadly the air box mount). Lots of year-old spare parts. Already made use of them, as swapped the dipstick tubes because the donor's leaked. Even the engine cover fits on.

Next up is to finish cleaning the engine, change the spark plug, oil, replace the fuel line to the tank. mount the drive belt pulley, and then mount it to the Brute.

So that's the project so far. Now I have a few of questions:

First and foremost: is the mounting plat for the blade supposed to just slide off? The one on the donor won't. I'm guessing rusted onto the crankshaft. Tried hitting it with PB Blaster, but is threr a trick to get it off? I need to get it off so I can slide on the drive belt pulley.

Next, off is the blade. The Brute's is bent and the donor's is in poor shape. I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the Max Power 22" Universal Mulching Blade?

831851_3309856_290.jpg

Also, do these engines have a fuel filter? I tried looking for one but didn't see it. I was thinking of adding one in.

6180040_mpo_4286_pri_detl.jpg

Thanks for looking!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hey... Welcome to LMF...

Great deal & terrific pictures. It will LOOK new when you get it running.
Fuel filter won't hurt, but you should be using clean fresh fuel, so may not be as important for you as it appears you keep things clean...

The pulley adapter 'should' come off without too much persuasion... Mulching blades work great for me, so I have to say, ought to work.
Good luck and will be watching for the completed project photo.... :smile:KennyV

grewen

Forum Newbie
Threads
:thumbsup:
Hello everyone,

I'm rekindling my childhood hobby of tinkering with mowers and thought I'd share my progress and ask a couple questions.

This spring I put a good amount of time and effort into transforming our backyard from literally dirty and some weeds to lush grass. It's not perfect, yet, but compared to what it was it's a massive improvement. So with a nicer lawn I need a mower, since we don't have one besides my uncle, who is possessive over it.

Being on a budget, and looking for a project, I went to Craigslist to see what there was. I came across an ad for a Brute 22" Self Propelled 3-in-1 mower. Right away I wanted it because

1. It had big wheels
  2. It had a bag
  3. It was black
  4. It looked cool (big rear wheels on a long slender body just looks awesome to me and reminded me of my favorite mower I had as kid)

Guy wanted $45 originally but I talked him down to $35. Came with all of the parts and accessories, including the broken, completely disassembled motor in a Briggs box. He said it was a year old, stopped working, and the manufacturer wouldn't replace it under warranty, so he got a new one. He claimed he never hit anything, but one I inspected it at home, sure enough, I found the blade bent, flywheel cracked around the crankshaft hole, and damage to the crankshaft.

That's ok, my plan was to get a motor anyway off CL, but as luck would have it my neighbor had a free mower he'd been beating the snot out. It was very dirty and the deck's in poor shape. The air box had long been broken off and had no filter, but it fired right up anyway after sitting in his yard for a year.

So I cleaned off my Brute, gave it a nice coat of wax. Then I unbolted the motor from the donor deck and test fit. Perfect. Put back on the old deck for cleaning. Put the air box from the Brute's engine (which is very similar but has Ready Start whereas the donor has a primer), and hit it with engine degreaser and my pressure washer. Cleaned up quite well! I'll probably clean it by hand in the little nooks, then do an oil change, new spark plug, and new air filter when the proper air box mount (with primer) I have on order comes in.

Onto photos!

The day I brought it home.

IMG_8498.jpg

IMG_8499.jpg

Cleaned and waxed.

IMG_8503.jpg

IMG_8506.jpg

Parts of the Brute's Briggs and Stratton 675 Series engine.

IMG_8513.jpg

The carnage.

IMG_8516.jpg

IMG_8514.jpg

IMG_8518.jpg

IMG_8521.jpg

The donor mower.

IMG_8522.jpg

IMG_8523.jpg

IMG_8524.jpg

IMG_8525.jpg

Test fitting the engine.

IMG_8527.jpg

After a round of degreasing and pressure washing.

IMG_8529.jpg

IMG_8530.jpg

Love how the engines are so similar save Ready Start (and sadly the air box mount). Lots of year-old spare parts. Already made use of them, as swapped the dipstick tubes because the donor's leaked. Even the engine cover fits on.

Next up is to finish cleaning the engine, change the spark plug, oil, replace the fuel line to the tank. mount the drive belt pulley, and then mount it to the Brute.

So that's the project so far. Now I have a few of questions:

First and foremost: is the mounting plat for the blade supposed to just slide off? The one on the donor won't. I'm guessing rusted onto the crankshaft. Tried hitting it with PB Blaster, but is threr a trick to get it off? I need to get it off so I can slide on the drive belt pulley.

Next, off is the blade. The Brute's is bent and the donor's is in poor shape. I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the Max Power 22" Universal Mulching Blade?

831851_3309856_290.jpg

Also, do these engines have a fuel filter? I tried looking for one but didn't see it. I was thinking of adding one in.

6180040_mpo_4286_pri_detl.jpg

Thanks for looking!

hanyoukimura

Threads
Today after work I had a little daylight to tinker with the mower. Decided to pull off the cover and shroud. Only to find...

IMG_8532.jpg

IMG_8533.jpg

Dear gods...

Well no wonder why my neighbor said it would overheat after a while...no cooling with all that crud in there. Even little ants had taken up residence in it...time for an eviction.

To be sure there was a big mess, but it was no match for my pressure washer.

IMG_8538.jpg

IMG_8537.jpg

IMG_8534.jpg

IMG_8536.jpg

Much better. I did notice that the spark plug wire near the coil looks to have been chewed at, most of the insulation is gone. However, as it just so happens, I have one to spare. :biggrin:

Tomorrow I will see about getting the blade mounting bracket off, do an oil change, change the coil, spark plug, replace the fuel line, swap out the somewhat rusty muffler for the newer one, and reassemble the engine. Then it'll be just about time to transfer it to its new home...

All that will remain is the airbox mount I have on order and a new blade.

hanyoukimura

Threads
I've run into two problems.

It appears that oil has gotten into the combustion chamber, maybe I had the engine tilted the wrong way at some point, but regardless it won't start now. Any recommendations that don't require pulling the cyilnder head off?

The other problem, which is less important but still a small issue is that the donor engine's crankshaft is narrower than the Brute's engine, so the belt pulley doesn't fit snugly on the shaft. Not sure what to do about that.

hanyoukimura

Threads
I'm so silly...I forgot to reconnect the carburetor linkage.
animesweat.gif

Took a few pulls but it fired right up, burned off the oil and is good to go.

Now there's just the issue of that belt pulley...

hanyoukimura

Threads
So the day has come...

Wrapped up prepping the engine today. Installed a fuel filter and swapped out the muffler, as well as new spark plug, oil change, and swapped out the ignition coil.

IMG_8542.jpg

IMG_8539.jpg

IMG_8540.jpg

Then unbolted the engine and transplanted it to its new home.

The fruits of my labor:

IMG_8552.jpg

IMG_8554.jpg

IMG_8555.jpg

IMG_8556.jpg

IMG_8557.jpg

IMG_8558.jpg

IMG_8559.jpg

IMG_8561.jpg

IMG_8563.jpg

IMG_8567.jpg

IMG_8568.jpg

Runs great! All that's left is the proper air box mount which should be here Friday and a new blade which I'll also get Friday.

The only thing that doesn't work is the self propelled feature, because the donor engine's shaft is smaller in diameter than the original,s o the belt pulley doesn't fit on there properly. I'd like get that working, but it's not a big deal.

Not bad for $35, a good cleaning, and money spent on a little more than a good tune up.
cool.gif

Last edited:

mullins87

Threads
Measure the shaft diameter of the "new" engine. Take that measurement and the old pulley to a well equiped hardware or farm supply store, they should have a decent selection of pulleys. My local Tractor Supply has great selection.

hanyoukimura

Threads
Measure the shaft diameter of the "new" engine. Take that measurement and the old pulley to a well equiped hardware or farm supply store, they should have a decent selection of pulleys. My local Tractor Supply has great selection.

Good idea. I'll bring it with me Friday when I go to pick up my air box. Thanks!

hanyoukimura

Threads
The new air filter mount came in today. Installed it with no problems, but when I went to prime the engine gas started leaking out of the carburetor bowl. Turned out the gasket was bad, so I replaced it and the bowl with the spare I had. That fixed that leak, but then I found it coming out from behind the carburetor. So I took the whole thing off and discovered that the mounting bracket was bent right along where the carb mounts, so the gasket couldn't form a proper seal. Straightened that out and put it all back together.

I'm ready to call it finished. It starts first pull now, runs great, and I even got the drive wheels working. I wasn't able to get a pulley that would properly fit, but the one I have has a set screw in it which locks it into the notch in the crankshaft. It's not perfect, but it's not going anywhere, and this isn't a car, so it doesn't have to be perfect. Works great. I'm happy with how my project turned out. :smile: