New Kohler 5400 with odd noise

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Any testing like belt removals and such will void the warranty. Take no chances, doing something, to this mower if it's brand new. Take it back immediately. Stop taking parts off it. That way walmart can't claim you did something to it. They dog you for 1 day old gas now and say the gas is sour. Not covering any repairs or parts.

merlars

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for the replies. Someone dropping something down the oil dip stick hole is a good thought. Doesn’t MTD also build Cub Cadet, Troy Built and some of the John Deere models? Also, the issue is with the Kohler, not the tractor itself, although I suppose they could have did something during install. I don’t think I’ve done anything to void the warranty at this point and don’t plan on removing anything material. I did not get it at Wal-Mart. I live in a small town and got it at the local hardware store, etc.

From the responses here, my question has been answered, in that it’s not normal for this engine. I’ll take it up again with MTD. Thanks everyone! Dave

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
MTD make the bulk of the cheapest ride ons
JD make their own
Everything MTD makes is assembled from a stock set of parts according to the brand customers specifications
So they will press the exact same deck pressing in 3 or 4 different thickness of metal so some can be cheaper for the cheaper brands
A set of press dies for a deck can easy go $ 250,000 or more so when you start with a new one, you press X thousand deck shells from a thiner softer metal then gradually go to the full thickness metal and again when they wear you start going down in grades again till the quality is totally unacceptable .
One of the local franchises sells a house brand made by MTD and the deck is so thin & soft if you kneel on it you leave a dent & I am only 140 lbs so am not that heavy
After a cuple of years the deck mounts on the deck stretch so the deck hangs low requiring them to be cut off, the deck beaten out then braced before welding the hangers back on .

cuda383

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you. I don’t intend to work on it myself. I was mostly trying to get advice on if the noise I am hearing is normal with this engine or not. It’s a newer design apparently with a new balance shaft system and so I didn’t know if there is actually a problem or if it’s just a noisy design. Searches online turn up posts that say some Kohlers sound like sewing machines but last forever, etc. I live in a small town and was actually partially trying to support the local hardware store by buying it, etc.
Did you find out anything yet? I purchased a used one recently and have about 18 hrs. on it and have a similar noise to yours.

merlars

Forum Newbie
Threads
Unfortunately, no. I ended up getting ahold of Kohler, who gave me three warranty centers to contact (dealers). However, as I was warned here none of them would/could help me, and so I ended up taking it back to the retailer, as was also suggested in this thread. I have since put some money into rebuilding the deck on my 26 year old craftsman and am happy with that. Thanks!

cuda383

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the update! I'm hoping it's nothing serious as I have no warranty buying used. When I test drove the tractor it sounded fine. It seems as though it started after longer runs.

cuda383

Forum Newbie
Threads
I know the OP sent his back to the retailer. This guy in the video seems to have the same sound. Need to turn the volume way up, you can hear it when he comes around to the instrument panel. It's only at the very beginning, had to keep playing it over and over. Maybe it's just the nature of this engine.:unsure:

DaveTN

Threads
Definitely sounds like metal rattling on metal. I can hear it better
on the low idle speed rather than at mid to high range. Don't do
the repairs yourself or even a mechanic who can do it as it will
void your warranty and then you're on your own. Make a paper
trail that you can hold up if need be in small claims court. Do the
authorized service warranty shop. That engine should NOT be
rattling and clanging like that, even on low RPM.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
"I hear nothing" (Sgt. Schultz).

cuda383

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well for me it was the deck belt rattling on the bottom retainer bracket. When the deck belt is not engaged it has a decent amount of slack and does not make this sound when the blades are engaged. Hope this helps someone in the future.