New Kobalt Li-Ion Lawn Mowers at Lowe's

ChuckDep

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have 1/3 acre. This mower is very convenient and between the Long Run (4ah) and the Quick Charge (2ah) I have no problem finishing. I had an issue today however with the battery "popping up" and not staying seated in the mower. A quick call to customer service reveals that this is a known issue, and I should either shim the battery using cardboard or a wedge or I may return the mower for a refund. I haven't decided what to do yet because I really like using this mower. New buyers might wait until the next gen.

Sorry I'm replying to this post so late but I've used my Kobalt 19 inch for about 18 months without incident and today the battery "popping up" issue started. Did you (or anyone else on the forum) figure out a good shim/wedging solution? I jammed a piece of cardboard (about 3 in x 1 in) down in the battery bay and it worked...until I bumped into a tree. Is there a better, more permanent solution out there? Love my mower and don't want to return it if I don't have to. Thanks in advance for any help.

seanathen

Threads
I have another update. The replacement chain saw works flawlessly. I also now have the hedger and the weed eater. The hedger also is flawless. I just got the weed eater for christmas, so I'll have to give you an update after grass starts growing.
In total, I now have 5 batteries and 4 chargers. I'm pretty sure I can just have them all charged and do an entire day's worth of yards, since I don't use the chain saw or the hedger every day. I am super thrilled with how fast and long the batteries last, even in the cold and heat of Vegas. I have never had the battery pop out issue. However, if I did, I'd just take it back to Lowes for a new mower. It's one of the beauties of buying it from Lowes in the first place.
I bought a spare set of blades for the mower, and they are easy to get on and off. When new though, they are quite dull. I sharpened them before use.

seanathen

Threads
Another update. The weed eater works really well, but not perfect. I wish for two things. First, the string auto-advancer doesn't work all the time. I often have to stop and push the little advance button. I tried winding my own string on the empty plastic spool; disaster. Just buying factory ones from now on.

My biggest gripe is that there is no "lock on" button. I'm not sure that's the right term, but I'd like to have a button where it just locks in the on position. I'm sure it's a safety thing, but it would be a really really useful button.

I will say that it hands down beats my old 18v Black and Decker trimmer. :)

seanathen

Threads
Another update: The second chain saw did the same thing the first one did; the tensioning system on them is not good. No matter how many times I tried to fix it, it just kept moving and making the chain loose. I cannot recommend the chain saw due to this problem. I got a 20v battery operated sawsall with a 9" blade. Works way better for what I do with it, which is just light tree and branch trimming.