New Kobalt Li-Ion Lawn Mowers at Lowe's

MowerMike

Threads
thanx for the report. I may attempt installing my batteries while holding the latch button down to reduce wear.

I don't think there's a problem with the Greenworks mower like some are experiencing with the Kobalt version. Not only have I not had this problem with my Greenworks twin blade mower, I have to struggle to remove the battery from the mower when I'm finished mowing in order to re-charge it.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
I don't think there's a problem with the Greenworks mower like some are experiencing with the Kobalt version. Not only have I not had this problem with my Greenworks twin blade mower, I have to struggle to remove the battery from the mower when I'm finished mowing in order to re-charge it.

ugh - forgot what mower was referenced, I need to pay closer attention to what thread I'm in!

I sometimes find it helpful to push 'in' to unlatch my GW batteries from the mower or other gear.

xdoomsongx

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have 1/3 acre. This mower is very convenient and between the Long Run (4ah) and the Quick Charge (2ah) I have no problem finishing.

What kind of run time do you get from your batteries? I have measured my lawn finally, and I have about 1/3 of an acre, but I can't get more than 2/3 of it done before the batteries are done for. I've started mowing with just the 2ah battery first, then switching to the 4ah battery so I can charge the 2ah battery while mowing with the 4, however the 2 is often too hot to charge until well in to the half way point with the 4. This has lead to mowing being a two day event, and frankly I'm about to just say screw it and go back to gas. Thanks for any thoughts.

hangtimer

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have 1/3 acre. This mower is very convenient and between the Long Run (4ah) and the Quick Charge (2ah) I have no problem finishing. I had an issue today however with the battery "popping up" and not staying seated in the mower. A quick call to customer service reveals that this is a known issue, and I should either shim the battery using cardboard or a wedge or I may return the mower for a refund. I haven't decided what to do yet because I really like using this mower. New buyers might wait until the next gen.

I am very happy with the products operation and ease of use however my stalling problem appeared on the third use.

I am using a 6" length of 3/8" door stop to wedge my battery from the bottom toward the retainer clip. It is working fine for now, but I think I will be exchanging this unit for a new one soon.

Thanks for your post.

bxd20

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can anyone comment on the mulching quality of the Kobalt?

I have bagged clippings my whole life. We have a small suburban lot, around 0.2 acres. I frankly don't mind the extra work of bagging, as we have separate pickup for yard waste.

I just want the best lawn possible, whether that's by mulching or bagging.

Are the clippings small enough that they would decompose and feed the lawn instead of just smothering the grass? Is there a different cordless electric that mulches better?

Thanks
Brian

seanathen

Threads
From everything I've read, including hundreds of reviews, sounds like the 4Ah battery lasts approximately 35mins in "mulching mode" and 45 mins otherwise, depending on if the grass is tall or wet. I'm guessing 1/4 acre is about how long the battery would last. The 2Ah battery doesn't last as long.

Greenworks (same thing as the Kobalt, just rebranded and slightly modified) claims 75 minute runtime for both batteries that it comes with, the 4amp hour and 2 amp hour.

So that would be like 50mins and 25mins.

I'm going to be using this Kobalt mower and the other "Max" tools (where the battery is interchangeable between all the equipment), in my new commercial startup. I just won't be able to do larger properties until I make enough to consider an electric battery powered zero-turn for larger properties. I'll just stick to properties around 1/4 acre or so and less.

I currently use a Black and Decker 36V (and electric everything else except my backpack blower). I have a recharging station in my trailer with a marine battery, 1000W converter, chargers, etc. It takes a lot longer to charge the 36V than these lithium batteries. They claim 30 minutes recharge. With that in mind, if you just had one spare battery and the recharge system in your car or trailer, you could do just about any size lawn and just charge between yards. I can do three normal lawns with my B & D mower, just keeping it plugged in to the charging system at all times when not mowing. But I'm in Vegas, so not all my customers have lawns... My plan is to go all Lithium, and I'm thinking about the Kobalt twin blade for this. The other major benefit of the Lithium for me is that it's full blast on at all times until the battery is dead, unlike my B & D lead battery which just gets slower and slower as it dies.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
Those lithium don't always begin recharging immediately - there is a temp sensor and often, I have to let the battery cool-off for several minutes before charging will begin. (I have Greenworks mower and other gear)

Lawnmowerwizard

Forum Newbie
Threads
I finally got the 20" model in from my order. I tried it for the first time this morning. Initial impressions are very good, it isn't any louder than a vacuum, and it mowed down the lawn without any problems.

Now for the problem, and it's a big one. The batteries, which I had fully charged, only lasted about 35 minutes. This is less than half of the stated run time, and judging by how much of the lawn I got mowed I am going to need at least an hour of run time (it stopped with one, yes ONE freaking strip of uncut grass in my front yard leaving me a little less than half done :mad: . I am not familiar with Lithium battery technology, so before I throw this thing back in the box and take it back ASAP, can anyone tell me if it will improve after a couple of charge/discharge cycles? If that is the case I will happily give it more time, if not, it is back to gas for me. Thanks for any feedback.

I think it's fair to say that manufacturers are quite generous when they quote the maximum running time figure. It's probably derived from them carrying out tests in absolutely optimum conditions (completely flat lawn, uniform grass density, low humidity etc etc) which, yeah ok might result in getting more than an hour out of it, but as you've learned the hard way, it doesn't work like that in the real world. Sorry to hear it's causing you frustration!

seanathen

Threads
I have an update. I bought the Kobalt mower about 4 months ago. I have the charging system set up in the back of my Explorer, with a marine battery and 1000w converter from Harbor Frt. I have to say, that this mower is the coolest tool I've ever purchased. This mower cuts through even the thickest of stuff, although when doing that, it does require a forward, then back over it cut. I only ever use it in mulch mode. I'm in Vegas, so the battery does get hot. I keep a small cooler (six pack size) with some re-usable ice packs in it. Throw the battery in there with one pack on the bottom and the other on top, 5 - 10 minutes later it's ready to be charged. And they charge pretty quickly. I've used the 4.0 and the 2.0 together and can do at least 2 houses, sometimes 3. Generally, I will mow, put the batteries on the charger, and by the time I blow that house and get to the next house, there's plenty of juice to keep going even if it's not fully charged. I also bought the chain saw, which I just returned today. I plan on getting another one, but the first one I got had chain issues. I hope it's not the design. The chain kept coming off the drive. I'd put it back on, set the tension, make a few cuts and it would just pop off again. After about 10 times, decided to take it back to Lowe's, which they took with no questions asked. I have had several guys who were doing other lawns and have come over just to see this mower. They are shocked at how quiet and efficient it is at mowing. I would definitely recommend to a friend, in fact, I did. My dad. And he loves it too.

Threads
I have an update. I bought the Kobalt mower about 4 months ago. I have the charging system set up in the back of my Explorer, with a marine battery and 1000w converter from Harbor Frt. I have to say, that this mower is the coolest tool I've ever purchased. This mower cuts through even the thickest of stuff, although when doing that, it does require a forward, then back over it cut. I only ever use it in mulch mode. I'm in Vegas, so the battery does get hot. I keep a small cooler (six pack size) with some re-usable ice packs in it. Throw the battery in there with one pack on the bottom and the other on top, 5 - 10 minutes later it's ready to be charged. And they charge pretty quickly. I've used the 4.0 and the 2.0 together and can do at least 2 houses, sometimes 3. Generally, I will mow, put the batteries on the charger, and by the time I blow that house and get to the next house, there's plenty of juice to keep going even if it's not fully charged. I also bought the chain saw, which I just returned today. I plan on getting another one, but the first one I got had chain issues. I hope it's not the design. The chain kept coming off the drive. I'd put it back on, set the tension, make a few cuts and it would just pop off again. After about 10 times, decided to take it back to Lowe's, which they took with no questions asked. I have had several guys who were doing other lawns and have come over just to see this mower. They are shocked at how quiet and efficient it is at mowing. I would definitely recommend to a friend, in fact, I did. My dad. And he loves it too.

Sounds like you really like the mower! Keep us updated, and also with the chainsaw.