New Hustler Raptor... changing oil first time. Does the drain need a wrench to open?

flightco

Threads
  • / New Hustler Raptor... changing oil first time. Does the drain need a wrench to open?
Hello,

I have a new Raptor (52 inch cut, 24 horse power, Kohler engine.)

I found what I think is the drain valve near the oil filter (it's a new Raptor, first oil change) and there is no knob on it so I suspect I have to use a adjustable wrench to open it? And when I do, it looks like it will drain oil on some of the mowers support by the wheels.

Do I need a hose to drain the oil (sticking it in the valve opening)?

thanks,

Deaf

I have a twin engine boat that is impossible to get a oil drain pan under so I purchased a oil pump out device and now use it on everything. I think it was a couple hundred bucks from a marine store but it makes everything so easy and no mess. Stick a tube down the oil stick hole, turn it on and go have a beer. When I return I change the oil filter and fill it up with fresh oil. I don't think it removes all the oil so I change it a little more often than recommended but the convenience is worth it.

retfr8flyr

Threads
  • / New Hustler Raptor... changing oil first time. Does the drain need a wrench to open?
I thought I would just add to this thread, instead of a new thread. I reached 5 hrs on my new SD, with a Kawasaki engine, so it was time to change the oil. The drain procedure is easy, just attach the hose that came with the machine and find something that will fit under the machine to catch the oil, then unscrew the fixed bolt to drain. I would really love to get hold of the guy at the factory that installed the oil filter though, I think he must have used an impact wrench. I couldn't get it off with a filter wrench and the limited space for movement. I ended having to drive a long heavy duty screw driver through the filter to get enough leverage to finally remove it. It shouldn't be such a hassle next time though. I used a Kawasaki filter and straight 30w oil for replacement, this is what my dealer recommended. I will most likely stay with straight 30w for the next change and then go to a full synthetic.

mzdrati

Threads
I know this thread is quite old, but does anyone with a Kawasaki FR651 use an oil extractor to suck the oil out of the top of the engine? I own an oil extractor, and it's quite effective (not to mention simple, neat and clean) on other engines I maintain.