New Hustler Raptor... changing oil first time. Does the drain need a wrench to open?

Deaf Smith

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / New Hustler Raptor... changing oil first time. Does the drain need a wrench to open?
Hello,

I have a new Raptor (52 inch cut, 24 horse power, Kohler engine.)

I found what I think is the drain valve near the oil filter (it's a new Raptor, first oil change) and there is no knob on it so I suspect I have to use a adjustable wrench to open it? And when I do, it looks like it will drain oil on some of the mowers support by the wheels.

Do I need a hose to drain the oil (sticking it in the valve opening)?

thanks,

Deaf

retfr8flyr

Threads
  • / New Hustler Raptor... changing oil first time. Does the drain need a wrench to open?
The oil drain procedure should be in the manual. I have the Kawaski on mine so I can't help with your Kohler but on mine you attach a small piece of hose and run it into something to catch the oil. I would think the Kohler is the same.

michigan_Rapter sd

Threads
I have the 54 with the kohler and need the hose provided when you purchased it and a wrench. not the handiest place to get into with a wrench.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't know what Koler you have (because you have not told us) but the oil drain is not next to the oil filter on mine. It is on the opposite side.

C4Tom

Threads
Kohler Engine(from the manual):
Draining the engine oil:
1. Locate the oil drain valve on the lower right side of the
engine.

2. Locate the oil drain hose that was supplied with the
machine. Be sure to clean and clear it of debris that
might block the flow of the engine oil.

3. Attach one end of the hose onto the oil drain valve nipple.
Make sure the hose is pushed all the way onto the
valve.

4. Position the loose end of the hose forward and down
in front of the right side transmission so that it can
drain into a suitable oil drain container.

5. With the hose in position, use a 10 mm wrench or
socket and open the valve approximately 4 turns in the
counterclockwise direction. Allow 10 minutes for
engine oil to adequately drain.

6. After oil is drained, close the valve by turning it in the
clockwise direction until it is fully closed.

7. Once the valve is closed, carefully remove the oil drain
hose and clean up any spilled oil.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Kohler Engine(from the manual):
Draining the engine oil:
1. Locate the oil drain valve on the lower right side of the
engine.

2. Locate the oil drain hose that was supplied with the
machine. Be sure to clean and clear it of debris that
might block the flow of the engine oil.

3. Attach one end of the hose onto the oil drain valve nipple.
Make sure the hose is pushed all the way onto the
valve.

4. Position the loose end of the hose forward and down
in front of the right side transmission so that it can
drain into a suitable oil drain container.

5. With the hose in position, use a 10 mm wrench or
socket and open the valve approximately 4 turns in the
counterclockwise direction. Allow 10 minutes for
engine oil to adequately drain.

6. After oil is drained, close the valve by turning it in the
clockwise direction until it is fully closed.

7. Once the valve is closed, carefully remove the oil drain
hose and clean up any spilled oil.

Is that for a v-twin or single cylinder because my oil drain is on the left side and I have a v-twin?

kraky

Threads
Hustler only uses a vtwin in kohler. The picture I found online looks like a brass valve and yes you have to spin the nut open on the outside of the valve and that will have the oil coming out the valve. You have to slip a hose over the valve and either under the unit or to the outside to catch the oil.

C4Tom

Threads
Is that for a v-twin or single cylinder because my oil drain is on the left side and I have a v-twin?

I have a 2016 Hustler Raptor 52" and that is from my manual. I have the 24 hp Kohler 7000 series engine (v-twin) and the oil fill/drain are both on the right side(the side with the control panel) right behind the seat.
Hope this helps. :smile:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a 2016 Hustler Raptor 52" and that is from my manual. I have the 24 hp Kohler 7000 series engine (v-twin) and the oil fill/drain are both on the right side(the side with the control panel) right behind the seat.
Hope this helps. :smile:

It will help me help others. I have not seen the 7000 series yet.

Deaf Smith

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks guys! This weekend is the weekend for the first oil change. I will look at all the stuff that came with the machine and find that drain hose!

I think the valve has a square end for the wrench to fit. Sure wish they made a T handle and you didn't have to reach down to turn the drain on or off.

Thanks again!