New Honda HRR216VYA Owner!

Scumbag242

Threads
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and new to the home owner world. I have a fairly small yard but pulled the trigger and bought a Honda lawn mower. I will take the mower out tonight and post some pictures. I would appreciate if anyone could weight in on a few things.

My main concern was longevity and buying a used mower in questionable condition for 200 bucks vs a new Honda with warranty for 400 was a no brainer. I also see myself trying to start my own landscaping business soon if everything with my current company doesn't work out. I need some insight on these machines.

Is the HRR216VYA a good choice for a home owner looking for a machine that will last a long time?

Is the HRR216VYA a good choice for a small landscaping business?

I am trying to decide if I should return the mower, because it may not fit my needs? I am looking into the HRX217HYA or the HRC216HXA.

Does everyone put hour meters on their machines?

Threads
First of all, :welcome: to LMF!
OK, so....I have a similar mower, that I started to use commercially around 2 years ago (I have the HRR216VKA). I bought it four years before that. It had held up great! Personally, I would recommend the HRX217HYA if you plan on starting a business, but I think your mower would be OK. The HRC216HXA will definitely last, but it is REALLY heavy.
So....to sum it up...Honda's are great mowers for commercial use, but I would probably choose the HRX217HYA. I love mine. I still think yours would be fine, though.
Please post pics of your new machine!
Lastly, I don't have an hour meter on my mower, but it would be a good investment!
I hope that helped you make a decision! :smile:

Scumbag242

Threads
I will definitely post a picture of my machine tonight.

The HRX217HYA has the hydrostatic transmission, but it does not say whether it is belt driven or shaft. The commercial unit says (shaft drive). Obviously the commercial is made with parts that could withstand many hours, but the residential is also up to the challenge???

Also, is there an advantage to the 190 cc motor? Everything I read says the 160 is plenty powerful and the commercial units available are only 160cc?

Threads

The HRX217HYA has the hydrostatic transmission, but it does not say whether it is belt driven or shaft. The commercial unit says (shaft drive). Obviously the commercial is made with parts that could withstand many hours, but the residential is also up to the challenge???

Also, is there an advantage to the 190 cc motor? Everything I read says the 160 is plenty powerful and the commercial units available are only 160cc?

I am using my HRX217HYA commercially, (I haven't had it that long), but it has held up great and seems durable. I don't think there is anything great with the 190 cc motor, both the 160 and the 190 are plenty powerful. And you are correct, the commercial mower only comes in the 160 cc.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and new to the home owner world. I have a fairly small yard but pulled the trigger and bought a Honda lawn mower. I will take the mower out tonight and post some pictures. I would appreciate if anyone could weight in on a few things.

My main concern was longevity and buying a used mower in questionable condition for 200 bucks vs a new Honda with warranty for 400 was a no brainer. I also see myself trying to start my own landscaping business soon if everything with my current company doesn't work out. I need some insight on these machines.

Is the HRR216VYA a good choice for a home owner looking for a machine that will last a long time?

Is the HRR216VYA a good choice for a small landscaping business?

I am trying to decide if I should return the mower, because it may not fit my needs? I am looking into the HRX217HYA or the HRC216HXA.

Does everyone put hour meters on their machines?

The Honda HRR216VKA is Honda's budget self-propelled gas mower, Imo not what it should be. The 160 GCV engine doesn't have the power it should, the one I had wouldn't cut well at all. Quite frankly it sucked. Not a good choice for a small landscaping business. The HRX217HYA would be the best choice with the 190cc engine.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

The HRX217HYA has the hydrostatic transmission and it's a belt drive. The commercial units do use the 160cc motors but there the GXV and GSV motors with cast iron cylinder sleeves, a better air filter system and a ball bearing supported crankshaft, and the HRC216HXA is shaft drive.

Scumbag242

Threads
As promised.

IMAG0312.jpg
[/IMG]

Sorry for the delay, we just moved into our house and do not have internet or tv yet. On the weekends, we're off the grid. I guess more time for yard work.

Is this the right place to ask for advice on lawn care and landscaping?

Last edited:

Scumbag242

Threads
Will do, Thanks! The HRR216VYA is so nice I can't see myself returning it. My wife mowed the backyard yesterday and had the biggest grin on her face. She loved it! :thumbsup: