New Honda HRR216K9VKAA - 3 problems

primerbulb120

Threads
I bought a brand new Honda HRR216K9VKAA off Craigslist, it was still in the box. The previous owner received it as a gift but already had a John Deere, so he never used it. I've had three issues with it so far. Otherwise it's the best mower I've ever owned or used. I am using the mower commercially, but I am the only one using it and I don't abuse it. It has under 15 hours on it so far.

First, here's the model and serial numbers:

Mower Model: HRR216K9VKAA
Mower Serial#: MZCG-9638300
Engine Model: GCV160
Engine Serial#: GJARA-6442172 MY1

1. The auto choke sticks. The engine will start right up and run, but the choke stays on. Sometimes the engine vibrations cause it to pop open after a few seconds, sometimes I have to take the air filter off and poke the choke plate open. Once opened, the plate stays open until I stop the engine and let it cool down. When warm, the engine restarts with no problems. This issue has been present since day one.

2. In terms of cut quality, this mower is inferior to my cheap Troy-Bilt and my Craftsman, both of which have Gator blades. It leaves standing blades of grass and leaves some blades higher than others. The blades are razor sharp, they are installed correctly, and the engine is running at sufficient speed. (It runs as fast or faster as the engines on my other mowers.) This issue has been present from day one. I though the twin blades would at least be equal to the Gator blades, but they are greatly inferior. Oregon does not make a Gator blade for this mower, if they did I would buy one.

3. The mower has always been hard to pull in reverse, and it's become intermittently worse as I've used it. It required about 14 lbs pull back force when it was new (I measured it with a pull type scale). As it is now, the mower will sometimes pull back as it did when new, sometimes require more force than it did when new, and sometimes the wheels will lock completely and slide when I pull the mower back. The issue is intermittent and I haven't been able to discover any pattern to it.

Don't get me wrong, I like the mower overall and I want to keep it if I can fix these problems. I was able to live with the first two, but the third one pushed me over the edge. Any suggestions or recommendations for what I should do?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
!) Robert will chime in later and tell you if your mower needs a factory ( free) modification to the auto choke.
It worked well in the lab and better in the test mows but it has been modified a couple of times in general use.

2) mower must be running at full speed at all times when cutting.
All of the airflow and grass discharge design work is based on those blades spinning flat chat, almost there is not good enough.

3) No idea as USA models are different to what we get down here

primerbulb120

Threads
If Robert tells me what speed to set the engine at, I'll set it. I suspect the engine is actually running a bit faster than factory specs, because I sped it up just a little in an attempt to make it cut better.

I'll check it with a tachometer and report back later.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you are not mulching remove the smaller blade.

primerbulb120

Threads
I don't want an HRC, it's too complicated, heavy and expensive for me. I like the simplicity of the HRR, I just want it to work as well or better than a cheapo Craftsman or Troy-Bilt. :smile:

primerbulb120

Threads
Okay, I did some research and found the root cause of the locking wheels issue. There are two bushings next to the wheel height adjusters, they seize up and the mower won't roll. I am going to try to replace them with sealed bearings. I can't believe Honda put ball bearings on all 4 wheels but didn't put them on the axle shaft!