New heavy duty mower buying advice

arwatson2000

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 1/2 acre on a hill, 15 degrees. It is a 12" high grass at times. Trying to mow it can be hard, especially with dew or after rain.

In the past I have used a Gravely LI, had it rebuilt, but it is very heavy and needs more HP. I tried a small Husqvarna 22" but it broke after 4 uses (side discharge chute x 3, paint came off after 4, starter cord frayed after 4 uses - and I dont' abuse mowers). It it was returned.

I am looking at Dr. Power but read such mixed reviews and don't have experience - this would be optimal for a large one.

Or can I find a smaller one to do the job like a JD or Snapper or Toro or Billy Goat?

thank you!!

Threads
I usually recommend a Honda HRX mower (see first picture), but for your circumstances I don't know if that would be good. I am worried about the foot-tall grass. It DOES have a Honda GCV190 engine (190cc's), which is higher than a lot of mowers, and it also has a NeXite deck which will repel a lot of grass, but foot tall grass is very high. You might want to look into a Billy Goat. Not necessarily the HomePro 34 (see second picture), because I did not like it, but maybe the High Weed Mower (see third picture).
HRX217HYA.jpg.........Honda Lawn Mowers: HRX217HYA, HRX217K4HYA
billy goat.jpg.........HOMEPRO
high weed mower.jpg.........High Weed Mower Residential / Commercial | Billy Goat Industries, Inc.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Nothing is going to do a good job cutting grass that gets to be 12" high. You are abusing any hand mower when trying to cut that. The only thing I could recommend would be a walk behind string trimmer, but I am not a fan of them.

arwatson2000

Forum Newbie
Threads
Nothing is going to do a good job cutting grass that gets to be 12" high. You are abusing any hand mower when trying to cut that. The only thing I could recommend would be a walk behind string trimmer, but I am not a fan of them.

Thanks. When I was cutting it the grass was about 4-6" high, my goal was to be able to do it when 12" high. Having been doing this now since '84, the Husq was the worst purchase ever. I also own Stihl chainsaw since '84, Echo brush cutter since 2004, Lawnboy mower lasted 20 years. So it was no abuse, just bad equipment. Even Lowes confessed to having issues with Husq.

My only points are:
* 1 - this was a bad model it seems
* 2 - buying something for this job is tricky - you are correct, you get caught between huge walk behinds or a heavy duty self-propelled. I just can't imagine I am alone with this one so trying to figure it out.

I also agree I am wary of string cut mowers.

Do you have any insight into DR Power?

thanks.

possum

Threads
From the looks of things in the town I live in the goal of many folks and banks is to mow when 12 inches high. The end result is it always looks hogged over and turns brown for about a month. I would go rent a brushcutter, try it out and buy one if I liked it.

arwatson2000

Forum Newbie
Threads
From the looks of things in the town I live in the goal of many folks and banks is to mow when 12 inches high. The end result is it always looks hogged over and turns brown for about a month. I would go rent a brushcutter, try it out and buy one if I liked it.

Thank you, good advice.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you have 12" high grass you have a couple of different ways to go. You can either cut more often with a conventional self propelled mower or a good Walk Behind like the ones below

g1336.JPG toro wb.jpgeither of these will will take down your 12" grass and even with these you should mow more often

Last edited:

arwatson2000

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you have 12" high grass you have a couple of different ways to go. You can either cut more often with a conventional self propelled mower or a good Walk Behind like the one below

12313-new-heavy-duty-mower-buying-advice-g1336-jpg
12314-new-heavy-duty-mower-buying-advice-toro-wb-jpg

either of these will take your 12" grass down but even with these mowers you need too cut more often.

Sadly, due to location, I can't cut more often.

The images didn't resolve, look forward to seeing them.
thanks.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sadly, due to location, I can't cut more often.

The images didn't resolve, look forward to seeing them.
thanks.

What do you mean the images didn't resolve.