New Guests

173abn

Threads
I have a sliding door in back of my computer and the deck is outside of it.Today while waiting for dial up to come online I saw a Bobwhite Quail come up on my deck then another and another until #31 made his appearence.I haven't seen quail here in yrs. but now all of a sudden there back.I just hope they stay on my property so the hunters don't kill them.think I'll see if they eat at a feeder.couple weeks ago 2 hen turkeys came through with 8 half grown chicks. took pics. but can't post because of dialup. russ

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Quail are always fun to have around, you can mimic them and they will call back.
Turkeys on the other hand are fun to watch BUT they sure are a mean bird... They will chase out almost every other bird once they establish ...
Al in all birds are handy to while the way while waiting for a 'dial-up"... :smile:KennyV

Attachments

• Briggs & Stratton mower 9-26-2013 005 (1024x768).jpg
    Briggs & Stratton mower 9-26-2013 005 (1024x768).jpg
    419.9 KB · Views: 0

Usedtorent

Threads
What a great view (I can see it in my head). I'm loving it! I love it when the wild life run out back in the yard. So far we have had fox, deer and black bear. I've never seen a quail out back.

stanley

Threads
Those are some cute little critters aren't they? I don't know if I'd like to see a black bear in my back yard though, but a quail would be very welcome.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
When feeding ground dwelling birds I like to see the feed broadcast on the ground rather than in a feeder. Often feeders set the birds up for predators, both ground and from the air. Broadcast feeding is more natural for one or more to be on watch duty at all times. The same goes for water which is more difficult so I prefer to let them find their own water at a stream.

173abn

Threads
you might be on to something there,Quail like turkey are always on the move,kinda like browsers.The feeder I have is 6" off the ground but haven't had no activity at it.I've got a very old concrete stock tank that still holds water and I saw the whole covey on it drinking.I also have a creek . russ

noodle

Threads
It is great to hear the quail are coming back. They are a great bird but tend to be over hunted. Between that an deforestation their are less and less of them. Let us know if they stick around.