New GT50 starter issue

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First, you cannot replace a 10 tooth starter with a 9 tooth starter. Teeth between the starter bendix and flywheel ring gear will not mesh properly. Second, acceptable voltage drop depends on a couple of things. Age of the battery, temperature, run time, charge. I would take the fully charged battery to your local repair shop or parts store and have them load test it. Also, if you have a small auto repair shop you trust, they can test it also, plus they do not want to sell you a new one. Might cost you a half dozen donuts there, but well worth it.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
When it fails to start, does it just "click", or does the starter motor run and not engage?

motomike

Threads
First, you cannot replace a 10 tooth starter with a 9 tooth starter. Teeth between the starter bendix and flywheel ring gear will not mesh properly. Second, acceptable voltage drop depends on a couple of things. Age of the battery, temperature, run time, charge. I would take the fully charged battery to your local repair shop or parts store and have them load test it. Also, if you have a small auto repair shop you trust, they can test it also, plus they do not want to sell you a new one. Might cost you a half dozen donuts there, but well worth it.

They say the 9 tooth works fine with the current flyweel.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please teach me something, who says they are interchangeable?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Might be like car speedometer gears in the old days, enough slop in the driver to account for some variation in the driven.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Might be, but that is OPE stating they are compatible, not Kohler. Any excessive slop between the two gears is going to cause premature wear or gear jamming. It’s up to you if your a betting man.

bullet bob

Threads
This unit sat so long at the store, I tested the battery when I first got it home and it only showed a little over 9v. I put my battery tender on it overnight and it was 12.91v the next morning and the battery seems strong. Connections are clean and tight. What is an acceptable starting volt drop?
Just guessing, to keep any relays open or closed, nothing below 11v when cranking.

pollishpickle

Threads
If they adjust the diameter of the gear then a 9 tooth is fine smaller gear would give a little more omph