New GT50 starter issue

motomike

Threads
I have a new GT50 I bought from a big box store. This unit sat in front of the store with 2 others before I bought it. It was out in the elements for several months if not an entire year.

The 25 hp Kohler 7000 series engine runs fine, but occasionally the starter drive does not engage when you go to start it. Turning it off then attempting to restart, it usually engages and all is good. I took it to an authorized service facility here in town and they say its good, that all the Kohlers sound raggedly like this one when starting.

My 20yo Briggs Twin II on the other hand starts flawlessly. Should I just accept this as normal for this engine?

evh

Threads
I don't know what your starter looks like, but I have worked on many small engine electric starters. Typically there is a gear that is thrown (forward/Up) to engage the teeth on the flywheel. Many times the shaft of the electric motor and inside of the gear that rides on the shaft becomes rusted (per your comment about it being out in the element). Before taking it to a repair shop, I would get some WD-40 or similar cleaner/lubricant and spray in there many times (wipe away the drippings) and see if that resolves it. It typically does.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Don't spray any WD40 or other lube in there. There is two starters use of these engine one is solenoid shift starter, the other has a rubber driven starter Bendix. If it the rubber driven you will cause it to complete stop working.

Please post your Kohler engine model and spec numbers so we can find which starter you have.

Also if it is a solenoid you may to added the starter solenoid trigger circuit as that might be too much of a voltage drop.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I wouldn’t touch it, be find another authorized Kohler repair shop. That one is too lazy or doesn’t have a clue to help you.

motomike

Threads
Don't spray any WD40 or other lube in there. There is two starters use of these engine one is solenoid shift starter, the other has a rubber driven starter Bendix. If it the rubber driven you will cause it to complete stop working.

Please post your Kohler engine model and spec numbers so we can find which starter you have.

Also if it is a solenoid you may to added the starter solenoid trigger circuit as that might be too much of a voltage drop.

Thanks for the replies everyone:

KOHLER PS-KT740-3085; Ser. 4832003144

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You do have the rubber driven Bendix starter PN 32 098 08-S. It best just to replace starter once you verify that it is not just voltage drop to the starter or in the ground return path. Your mower also has a remote starter solenoid which can give problems too but tests would reveal which the problem lays.

motomike

Threads
I'm just going to start video'ing every time I crank it until I catch it not engaging. Then I can show the service folks and maybe they'll replace it under warranty. Thanks for the replies and the info.

bullet bob

Threads
I would start with the simpliest of things, the battery. Throw a volt meter on it and crank it. See what your reading is under load. Clean your battery connections.

motomike

Threads
I would start with the simpliest of things, the battery. Throw a volt meter on it and crank it. See what your reading is under load. Clean your battery connections.

This unit sat so long at the store, I tested the battery when I first got it home and it only showed a little over 9v. I put my battery tender on it overnight and it was 12.91v the next morning and the battery seems strong. Connections are clean and tight. What is an acceptable starting volt drop?

motomike

Threads
I wouldn’t touch it, be find another authorized Kohler repair shop. That one is too lazy or doesn’t have a clue to help you.

Honestly, it would prolly be easier/better for me to just spend a $100 for a new starter instead of taking it 40 mi off to the next closest authorized repair shop and then waiting possibly weeks to get it back. I see Kohler has a "new" 9 tooth gear unit to replace the prior 10 tooth model that's supposed to be better?