New Greenworks 20" twin blade Li-Ion battery powered lawn mower !

Threads
  • / New Greenworks 20" twin blade Li-Ion battery powered lawn mower !
Correct. When the blades are in line with each other, then there is about a 1/4 inch gap between their tips, so they won't hit and don't need to be timed. There are two separate motors, one for each blade, and they run independently.

awesome.gif :thumbsup::thumbsup:

allanh2

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think you should check out the Recharge Mower 20" Lithium. This has 10.5 Ah and 36v. Super Powerful. More money than others but after using it I was sold. Blew all others away.

MowerMike

Threads
I think you should check out the Recharge Mower 20" Lithium. This has 10.5 Ah and 36v. Super Powerful. More money than others but after using it I was sold. Blew all others away.

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum. It's good to hear from another lithium ion powered mower fan. Yes, I am familiar with the Recharge Mower PMLI-20 mower, but passed it up for the Greenworks mower because of the high cost of both mower and battery as well as its short 1 year warranty. The PMLI-20 costs $280 more than the Greenworks and the battery alone costs $400, which is the same as the Greenworks complete mower with batteries and charger. The Greenworks has a 2 year warranty on the batteries and 4 year warranty on the mower, and the batteries cost half as much. Although the battery on the Recharge Mower will probably last more than a year, it's scary to think that I might have to spend $400 yearly to replace it.

Another problem I have is with run times. The Recharge Mower states that runtime is "in excess of 45 minutes," which could mean 50 minutes or more, but if it's less than an hour, then a spare battery would be needed. At $400 for a spare that's a bit steep for me. The Greenworks promises "up to 70 minutes," and I could buy an extra 2 Ah battery for $80 to extend the run time about another 20 minutes if need be.

Finally, the wheels on the Recharge Mower PMLI-20 are rather small, 6.5" front and 7.5" rear, whereas they are 7" front and 10" rear on the Greenworks. I can live with small front wheels, but I really like large rear wheels on a mower.

I think if Recharge Mower offered a better warranty and a longer run time, then it might be able to justify the higher price.

Last edited:

allanh2

Forum Newbie
Threads
The part that I find interesting is the time. The green works talks about RUN time. That is sitting on a cement driveway running without touching a blade of grass. Any mower has a long RUN time. Why I chose the Recharge Mower is the 45 minutes is CUT TIME. That is actually mowing your lawn. Run time is very misleading and in no way reflects the amount of time you will be able to actually use the mower. Don't get caught in that trap.

MowerMike

Threads
The part that I find interesting is the time. The green works talks about RUN time. That is sitting on a cement driveway running without touching a blade of grass. Any mower has a long RUN time. Why I chose the Recharge Mower is the 45 minutes is CUT TIME. That is actually mowing your lawn. Run time is very misleading and in no way reflects the amount of time you will be able to actually use the mower. Don't get caught in that trap.

Nope. It's also cutting run time on the Greenworks, only it's a maximum rather than a minimum. It does vary depending on conditions, but it is still the projected operating time. The Greenworks has a unique power management feature, which varies the blade speed and power draw depending on conditions. Under light cutting conditions the motors run slower and use less battery capacity, but under heavier conditions they speed up in order to maintain good cutting action. They automatically slow down again as conditions become lighter, extending the battery run time. The Recharge mower runs at full speed and power all the time, regardless of conditions, which is why its run time is shorter despite having a higher capacity battery than the Greenworks. My experience with Greenworks is that their estimated run times are quite accurate and reasonable. I own their 16 inch Li-ion mower, which they estimate at 40 minutes maximum run time, and I've gotten a 45 minute run time from it under medium cutting conditions, so I have no reason to doubt their 70 minute estimate for the new twin blade model.

Last edited:

allanh2

Forum Newbie
Threads
I must tell you that I find that interesting but can advise that I have used the Recharge in a commercial application without issue. Performance has exceeded expectations. I am more than satisfied and happy with my purchase. They were first with lithium in North America and have certainly set the standard.

MowerMike

Threads
I must tell you that I find that interesting but can advise that I have used the Recharge in a commercial application without issue.

Are you aware that you may have voided your warranty ? According to the terms of warranty on page 23 of your Operator's Manual under Limitations and Exclusions:

"2. Any COMMERCIAL, INSTITUTIONAL, AGRICULTURAL, INDUSTRIAL, INCOME PRODUCING, or RENTAL use will result in No Warranty."

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
I just unboxed mine last night. (purchased because my old 21"Bolens is being passed down to a son-in-law)

here are some general thoughts and a question or 2;

I am generally impressed. It is quiet. It is light-weight. The battery system seems very intelligent.

From reading, I have concerns about warranty service should that come up.

I found no instruction for registering the mower or batteries. I have an email into the company about that.

While the quickstart guide and instruction manuals are adequate, they would be better if drawings and text were larger and the paper were closer to being white than brown.

I may order a spare key, a spare set of blades and a spare left-hand thread blade nut.

Wondering if wheel axles, height-adjust mechanism or other spots would benefit from lubrication of some kind?

MowerMike

Threads
From reading, I have concerns about warranty service should that come up.

I found no instruction for registering the mower or batteries. I have an email into the company about that.

I may order a spare key, a spare set of blades and a spare left-hand thread blade nut.

Wondering if wheel axles, height-adjust mechanism or other spots would benefit from lubrication of some kind?

If you need service or warranty support your only recourse is to talk to them by phone and have them give you the address of the nearest service center. They do not respond to emails sent either directly or via their website. Registering your product on their website is a waste of time, since they do not save this information or have any sort of database. In addition, this product is not listed on their registration form. I suggest that you use it a bunch to make sure there are no problems so that you can return it directly to Lowe's within their grace period if any defects occur.

Greenworks does not sell replacement parts and there are a limited number of online web stores that do sell them. There are definitely no current sources of spare parts such as blades for this product, and it most likely be a long time if ever that you will be able to find any. So I would be very careful not to mow where there are stones and stumps that might damage the blades. I sharpen all my mower blades using a Dremel tool with a blade sharpener kit that permits me to do it w/o having to remove the blades. I don't know why you think you need a spare key, since you can just leave it in place all the time and it is tethered to the mower to avoid it getting lost.

I don't think you need to lubricate anything, but if you want to remove the wheels it is pretty simple, since they are retained by cotterpins which are cheap and easy to replace. Since the entire height adjustment mechanism is completely inside the housing, it is not exposed to a lot of dirt, so I don't see any reason to mess with it. Be advised that in order to remove the housing to gain access to the height mechanism, it is secured with T27 star (Torx) screws and the ones at the front are deeply recessed, so you would need a long T27 screwdriver to access them.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
If you need service or warranty support your only recourse is to talk to them by phone and have them give you the address of the nearest service center. They do not respond to emails sent either directly or via their website. Registering your product on their website is a waste of time, since they do not save this information or have any sort of database. In addition, this product is not listed on their registration form. I suggest that you use it a bunch to make sure there are no problems so that you can return it directly to Lowe's within their grace period if any defects occur.

Greenworks does not sell replacement parts and there are a limited number of online web stores that do sell them. There are definitely no current sources of spare parts such as blades for this product, and it most likely be a long time if ever that you will be able to find any. So I would be very careful not to mow where there are stones and stumps that might damage the blades. I sharpen all my mower blades using a Dremel tool with a blade sharpener kit that permits me to do it w/o having to remove the blades. I don't know why you think you need a spare key, since you can just leave it in place all the time and it is tethered to the mower to avoid it getting lost.

I don't think you need to lubricate anything, but if you want to remove the wheels it is pretty simple, since they are retained by cotterpins which are cheap and easy to replace. Since the entire height adjustment mechanism is completely inside the housing, it is not exposed to a lot of dirt, so I don't see any reason to mess with it. Be advised that in order to remove the housing to gain access to the height mechanism, it is secured with T27 star (Torx) screws and the ones at the front are deeply recessed, so you would need a long T27 screwdriver to access them.

I do have a parts list, and I also hope Lowes will carry at least spare blades. I'm pretty sure I will need blades at some point.