New Drive Belt Burning Hot

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good call. The top of the idler is worn. I never imagined it was worn so much.
With a new idler, woudn't the belt still rub against the bottom of the L-bar.
Just pry the L-bar up a little. Don’t force it. Nice and easy. Or, grab the bar between the deck and the 90 degree bend, with a pair if vice grips, and bend towards the centerline of the mower. You want it square with the deck.

Last edited:

LarryJohnson

Threads
Just pry the L-bar up a little. Don’t force it. Nice and easy. Or, grab the bar between the deck and the 90 degree bend, with a pair if vice grips, and bend towards the centerline of the mower. You want it square with the deck.

Removed the idler and bent up the L-guide so belt doesn't rub. Test drove, but drive belt getting hot, smoking.
I think it's an issue with the double idlers. I had to really force the belt between the two pulleys when installing. Or maybe the belt is just too thick/wide like someone said earlier.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Remove the belt and put your hands on every pulley, idler and turn the blades by hand. Something is in a bind. If any pulleys have been replaced, an incorrect pulley could have been installed. This inspection needs to be done by hand and not by blowing compressed air on them.
One more thing, jack your mower up and make sure it’s in neutral. Spin the wheels by hand and turn the transaxle pulley by hand. Is your transaxle binding up?

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Block off the filling neck and if you have fitted an open cell battery remove it.
Drop the deck then stand the vertical and take a couple of good clear photos of the belt run .
We need to see the entire belt run in one photo ( like the diagram Star posted ) so we can see for ourselves what is where.
Otherwise his post is just going to go round & round in circles.
Also did you remove the top ( rear ) belt when you replaced the front ( lower ) belt ?
I have seen one case where a customer had them on the wrong sides of the variator.
God only jnows how he did that I have enough problems getting them on the right side.
PLease do not even think of shoving your phone under the mower on the ground because that will not give us the information we need.
Also have a good look at the belt itself.
Where it is burning it will leave tell tale marks and from the damage we ran determine the type of the cause .

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I haven’t seen any mention of the operators manual. I have no idea if the OP even has a manual. There are clear instructions on how to check and adjust the motion drive and belt. The manual is available online.

LarryJohnson

Threads
I haven’t seen any mention of the operators manual. I have no idea if the OP even has a manual. There are clear instructions on how to check and adjust the motion drive and belt. The manual is available online.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I do have a manual. I referred to the manual 5 yrs ago when I replaced both drive belts and last week when I replaced the front belt.
I work for aliving, so might be the weekend before I can can try any suggestions.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks for all the suggestions. I do have a manual. I referred to the manual 5 yrs ago when I replaced both drive belts and last week when I replaced the front belt.
I work for aliving, so might be the weekend before I can can try any suggestions.
Lucky you.
I am top poster at present because we are in covid lockdown right now.
The government failed to manage airport quarrintine properly and allowed Covid to escape , then bungled the lockdown preffering to blame the ethnic migrants .
So now we are in the 7th week of a 2 week lockdown & they are pretending to be trying to get it under control while all the time relying on increased vaccinations to initate herd immunity mcuh the same as the US & UK
So we had it licked but never underestimat the ability of a government to stuff things up
Looks like it will be christmass before I am allowed to go back to work.
And that is assuming another variant does not pop up and the immunity to the delta strain actually lasts for that long
Tis really amazing to see how a single infected person can blow out to over 3000 cases in 7 weeks , kill 14 people and have 70% of the population locked up at home .
So I for one have all the time in the world to wait for you to get back under your mower.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And just think we here are now up to 200,000 cases a day again. Just because everybody went hog wild here too. Mostly the non vacinated is driving this.

People the masks are so restrictive they can't breathe through them have never had to wear the organic vapor versions. Now they are restrictive but can still save your life.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I know the Aust number look small but to equate them to the USA's larger population multiply by 10.
However the big difference is we had eliminated covid totally from the general population .
All of the current cases originated from a known single person ( DHL flight crew )
Thus we have just provided the world with a real time field experiment on exactly how infectious Covid Delta really is.
The USA had hundreds of cases in the country before they knew about it so no one really knew how many people a single person could infect & how fast it could spread .

LarryJohnson

Threads
Lucky you.
I am top poster at present because we are in covid lockdown right now.
The government failed to manage airport quarrintine properly and allowed Covid to escape , then bungled the lockdown preffering to blame the ethnic migrants .
So now we are in the 7th week of a 2 week lockdown & they are pretending to be trying to get it under control while all the time relying on increased vaccinations to initate herd immunity mcuh the same as the US & UK
So we had it licked but never underestimat the ability of a government to stuff things up
Looks like it will be christmass before I am allowed to go back to work.
And that is assuming another variant does not pop up and the immunity to the delta strain actually lasts for that long
Tis really amazing to see how a single infected person can blow out to over 3000 cases in 7 weeks , kill 14 people and have 70% of the population locked up at home .
So I for one have all the time in the world to wait for you to get back under your mower.

Wow. Sorry you're out of work for awhile. This may cheer you up.
I'm a bonehead. Took off 2 hrs this afternoon because I was already sweaty. Dropped the idler set to check belt alignment and noticed it was outside one of the guide posts. Put it where it suppose to be. That solved 90% of the burning belt issue. Ran it 3 times for 15 minutes each time to cut lawn, still getting a slight rubber odor. Might just be the front idler which isn't installed yet. Waiting on a new one.