New Craftyy

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have to put my two cents in. I don't like that unit due to how it is constructed. Gage of all the sheet metal is too small. Unless they changed them the deck spindles are not greasable. Front axle is metal tube with a poorly designed pivot point bearing. Did they add grease fittings to the wheel axles? If you're going to use this for a business, I would be surprised if you get two years out of it, without a major expense. Just my opinion, which many on this forum feel isn't worth a dam.

CauZey

Threads
Ill be using it for a business that is just starting. I don't have too many accounts at this time. I'm pretty sure you can grease the front axles and I think the deck is 12 gauge? Ill check and get back

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Have to put my two cents in. I don't like that unit due to how it is constructed. Gage of all the sheet metal is too small. Unless they changed them the deck spindles are not greasable. Front axle is metal tube with a poorly designed pivot point bearing. Did they add grease fittings to the wheel axles? If you're going to use this for a business, I would be surprised if you get two years out of it, without a major expense. Just my opinion, which many on this forum feel isn't worth a dam.

Now I know I'm not supposed to do this but I agree with you, I think there are a lot better mowers out there for or in the same price range that he's looking in than the craftsman.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads

Rivets,
I for one agree with most everything you said. The jury is still out regarding greasable mandrels(especially the ones on cheaper mowers). I learned(and believe) during my research last fall when I was shopping for my first ZTR mower, that "some/many" manufacturers simply put grease fittings on their spindles to give the customer a "warm & fuzzy feeling that they are maintaining the spindle bearings".....when in fact it is nothing more than a placebo effect. This is because over 90% of the lawn mower blade spindles manufactured today have "sealed bearings" inside them and all you are doing is filling the spindle housing around the bearings with grease and the grease NEVER touches the ball bearings. But mower manufacturers know that customers want to grease their spindles, therefore they request the grease fittings to be added to the mandrels. What's your take on this subject??? Have you ever taken apart a spindle that has a grease fitting? I had a reputable mechanic tell me host of the spindles he replaced/repaired that had grease fittings indeed had sealed bearings inside when he opened them up.
P.S.
I tried to hint to the O.P. to go to a Husqvarna dealer, spend a few more bucks, get one with a Kawasaki engine and he'd most likely end up with a mower much, much better than that Craftsman(which was also probably built by Husqvarna, just not the same quality of materials and construction as you pointed out).

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I've posted this before and I'll say it again. Yes, most of the spindle bearings are sealed. By put grease inside a jackshaft housing you are going two things. First you are filling that cavity with grease which will not let water in and when you add more grease it will displace any water that does get in and keep it away from the bearings. Second, those bearings are going to wear and the heat will breakdown that rubber seal. If the seal is compromised the grease will add extra life to that bearing. Back when decks were better constructed, with heavier metal and greasable assemblies, we never replaced as many jackshaft assemblies as we do today. As I said earlier, just my opinion, which most don't think is worth a dam. I know that there are a lot who are going to disagree with me, but I just call them as I have experience them.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ill be using it for a business that is just starting. I don't have too many accounts at this time. I'm pretty sure you can grease the front axles and I think the deck is 12 gauge? Ill check and get back

If you're going to use this mower for a lawn care business you're going to work yourself to death. You would be better off buying or spending your money on a good commercial self propelled push mower. It's a 13 gauge deck and 12 gauge channel frame.

CauZey

Threads
Husqvarna does make the crafty mower I'm looking at. I haven't looked at Husqvarna because mostly only lowes sells them around here. But I'm pretty sure they are between 4-500 more. Do you think the Koehler engine is worth it considering that everyone says if I'm going to cut yards as a business buy commercial or buy the cheapest decent mower you can buy? At this point in time I don't have enough accounts to make me feel as tho I should get a commercial unit. This is why I was lookin at craftys...

CauZey

Threads
I def will be buying a high line honda push unit as well