New 2019 Z248F breaking mower deck belts and excessive belt slap.

Cajunhunter67

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / New 2019 Z248F breaking mower deck belts and excessive belt slap.
Hello all!
I have a new low hour Zero turn Z248F.
Its has excessive belt slap. Always has from the day I purchased it. I tightened the spring for the tension pulley and helped a little. Problem is its already broken a belt. The new replacement OEM belt installed is also starting to come apart and has been used only a few times. I have again ordered another belt. At this point I'm pretty frustrated. I purchased the Husq over a Cub Cadet due to the heavy duty deck and it also went thru a lot of deck belts.
To me when the blades are engaged the belt should run smooth and the only noise is the blades spinning. This thing sounds like a junk truck.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? If so how did you rectify the problem.
I'm pulling the deck off tomorrow and inspecting all of it.
Don

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have seen his on quite a few Huskies
If you have an electirc PTO then you can slip another idler in.
All of the ones I have seen slapping had too long a run from the outer pulleys and not enough arc of contact.

Cajunhunter67

Forum Newbie
Threads
It has the electric PTO (clutch system)
I'm not sure how or where I would add an additional pulley. If this is whats causing the problem, it seems that its a simple fix the manufacturer should address. Simple engineering and the pulleys are cheap.
I removed the deck. Polished all the pulleys so there are no burs to cut the belt. Greased all the spindles. The spindle bearings were all smooth.
The two larger pulleys were smooth. The small idler pulley was rough and had excessive play. The idler lever was slightly elongated. I have ordered both a new idler pulley and lever. I find it hard to believe that with only a 100 hrs on this machine these are already in bad shape.

Also, In the parts break down of the deck, it shows a washer under the idler lever for it to rotate. Mine was not assembled with one. It is attached directly to the deck with a bolt that goes thru the pulley. It has wore all the paint off the deck to bare metal.

See attached link.

You can see Pulley #10 and Lever # 17 at attach location it shows that washer . The pulley has a washer built in to that rides ABOVE the lever. Nothing below it.
Anyone that has this model, let me know if yours has a washer below the lever.
Thanks
Don

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I have seen these washer completely worn away here allowing the arm to start flopping around causing belts to come off.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Going to be hard to prove, but good chance it was supplied without one fitted.
Just done a Timecutter where the similar plastic washer was not there.
It also snapped the belt . but when inspected the tension arm pivot hole was flogged out twice its normal size

Mnr602

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have same problem. Only 60hours on mine and still under warranty . Did you fix yours? How? TIA

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have same problem. Only 60hours on mine and still under warranty . Did you fix yours? How? TIA
Please start a new thread with your make & model numbers plus a full description of exactly what is happening

Mnr602

Forum Newbie
Threads
Why i was asking OP if he found a solution?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
BEcause the thread is over 1 year old.
Cajun, like a lot of others posted to multiple forums then never had the deciency to post back the problem was solved .
Good chance w will never hear from him again unless he has another problem we have to fix for him

Cajunhunter67

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bert’s is correct. One of my pet peeves is someone start a thread and doesn’t respond. My apologizes.

No. I have never found a solution for this belt eating issue.
I just replaces everything on the mowing deck. All pulleys, all spindles. Spring.
Idler lever. Blades. Belt. Hardware.
It’s still eating belts and getting belt slap as when I first purchased it.
This mower will be going up for sale.
Over the past few years I have spent hundreds in belts.
Bad Boy mower will be next. Hope yo have better luck.

Don