Never take their word

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
So when I took the mower back to them, told him what was wrong with it, he goes "I probably out to keep the gas can in my shed, shouldn't i"? I said yes.. and asked where he kept it, "oh just outside anywhere"...............😬
And probably with a food cap on it and vent capped too.

I just finish up with a customer's chainsaw. It is one those $125 saws. First time fuel mixture setting were off. Next time water in the fuel. Completely clogged the carb. And last time trash plugging the fuel line. He gave up and left the saw. He going to buy a Stihl like that is going fix his poor fuel storage problem.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's all about the brand names these days.

Just used a cheap Harbor Freight electric chain saw last weekend. Must admit, that little light sucker wasn't bad. Definitely not for a tree service. Did what we needed to do and ready for more. Very easy to start too. LOL

Last edited:

catman606

Threads
A buddy of mine that was in the trucking business had his own storage tank. Well, the distributor brought him a load of fuel, but it was gas. A CAT engine locked up in his truck. If you're familiar with the price of Caterpillar parts, you can imagine how much it cost to replace his engine.

catman606

Threads

Just used a cheap Harbor Freight electric chain saw last weekend. Must admit, that little light sucker wasn't bad. Definitely not for a tree service. Did what we needed to do and ready for more. Very easy to start too. LOL
Was that a battery powered saw? I need a pole saw to trim some tree's, been looking at the Harbor Freight ones.

Ranchito

Threads
Was that a battery powered saw? I need a pole saw to trim some tree's, been looking at the Harbor Freight ones.
I have used the HF battery pole saw and hedge trimmer for years with no problems. Both have plenty of reserve power to get the job done on a single charge. Far from commercial quality, but both work fine for a weekend warrior.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
"Just used a cheap Harbor Freight electric chain saw last weekend. Is was a corded max amperage model.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well, the distributor brought him a load of fuel, but it was gas. A CAT engine locked up in his truck. If you're familiar with the price of Caterpillar parts, you can imagine how much it cost to replace his engine.
Well sounds like a good case to sue the supplier for..

SamB

Threads
I test my 100% gas once in a while.. Easy to do.. Get small vial w/cap, add 1 inch of water & mark that level, then add 3 parts gas. shake & let sit, ..
100% gas will not increase the water level above the 1" mark, if it does like pics, it is E-10 or more...

View attachment 60711
I do that same test on the 'No ethanol added' fuel I buy at my local station that sells OPE fuel.

SamB

Threads

I have a Poulan Pro gas chain saw for any big jobs,but for some little stuff ,my 110v saw is what I grab. Works surprising well.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I really pissed off a local station several years ago when I tested the fuel at the pump. Tried to explain that it was a customer requirement of mine and I needed to just verify the fuel before putting it in the customer's equipment as I had gotten E10 fuel that was mistaken pump into the fuel tanks before. He was smoking hot.

A week later he personally came to my shop and apologized as he had contact his distributor and they said it is possible for the delivery driver to make a mistake as they carry both fuel types on the same tanker.