Neighbors that cut grass beyond the property line

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
my subdivision calls for no permanent structure within 5 ft. of property line but neighbor put fence right on line anyway.

set backs usually don't apply to fences. They apply to buildings unless otherwise stated. Otherwise everyone with a setback requirement would need 2 fences with an easement in between if the vehicles used to mow were wider than the setback.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Refraining from discharging cuttings into neighbors property is just good mowing etiquette..

Now I'm out in the country & my Back is all fenced, but if I get my fence blasted, next mow I simply lift my chute & Blast it back to the offending neighbor..
And my rig will sling it quite far..

bkeller500

Threads
Bad manners do not warrant more bad manners. Have a nice conversation over a beer or a ice tea and let him know your thoughts.

wekjo

Threads
Shee.....it. Two houses ago I had 4 acres, front neighbor had 6 and back neighbor had a funny shaped 3 acre dogleg. Saturday morning gas up the conquest, 12 pack between my knees, a lawn mowing pill as my girlfriend called it, and engage the deck. Good times for a geezer and the only complaining I ever heard was when I moved away and they had to start mowing themselves. Yes I did go through 2 engines and one tranny but the whole mess looked better than any golf course.

RolandW

Threads
A few years ago the guy who was renting some of our farmland for corn, instead of planting end rows just turned around on our neighbor's soybean field after every pass. That did not go over well...

oldlawnguy

Threads
Maybe instead of a fence you could create a little flower island strip and put up some nice tall ornamental grasses which look nice and give you some privacy as well given you mentioned small lots.

Tdj2591

Threads
I recently had eye surgery and could not mow my lawn. We were about to call a lawn care company when to our surprise we looked out and our neighbor across the street and his 2 teenage sons were just finishing mowing and raking our yard. We rewarded them later though they did not want anything. On another occasion we were out of state when a tornado hit our town causing major destruction. It missed our house but the wind brought down some massive oak limbs and smaller trees which blocked our driveway. We later learned that the same neighbor had come over with a chain saw, cleaned everything up and drug them all to the street. It sometimes pays to be nice to your neighbors!

Gord Baker

Threads
Speak to them in a friendly manner first. If that does not work place a line of rocks along what you KNOW to be the Property line, or a long row of narrow patio stones on YOUR side of the line. It may be dimensioned on the deed to your property. If not, have it surveyed.
Fences make good neighbours.

oneoldsap

Threads
There's an old saying here in Vermont , "good fences make good neighbors" . You know , like Tim the tool man , and his neighbor , Wilson

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bad manners do not warrant more bad manners. Have a nice conversation over a beer or a ice tea and let him know your thoughts.
Very True, but after talks fail (which we had a few), one must result to actions another can't mistake.. No flower pots here, I have 1 acre, so fence I have is chain link.
And after I set my boundary w/neighbor ( verbally, mentally & physically), it was later we started becoming friends. Now if I will be gone he will mow mine & visa-versa..

Last edited: