Needing some cheap parts

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Customer brought me a Scotts 1642H with what he thought was only a couple of minor problems. Drive belt being the main one. After pulling the deck, I found all the idlers needing replace. Also the ones on the deck, plus the deck belt.
After a few hours of getting all the JD OEM parts list & prices, customer says he just wants to go the cheapo route because he's gonna buy him a new mower in a few months.
I've found a few parts on Amazon, but there's still a couple I'm having trouble matching to aftermarket.

I'm thinking some of the pro's here know these part numbers off the top of their heads and know of a place where matching JD parts to after market is easier.

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So you are telling me that you want me to give you part numbers off the top of my head for JD pulleys and belts? I should know the exact ones you need, because you don’t want to take the time to look them up, plus can’t even supply us with the OEM numbers. Do you think the pros on this site have ESP and are your employees, I don’t think so. Time for you to do a little work on your own, just like the rest of the techs here. You can now go to the back of the long list of those who hate me when I call a spade a spade.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
So you are telling me that you want me to give you part numbers off the top of my head for JD pulleys and belts? I should know the exact ones you need, because you don’t want to take the time to look them up, plus can’t even supply us with the OEM numbers. Do you think the pros on this site have ESP and are your employees, I don’t think so. Time for you to do a little work on your own, just like the rest of the techs here. You can now go to the back of the long list of those who hate me when I call a spade a spade.

Oh no.. You got me all wrong, man. Not looking for someone to look up all these parts for me. Just maybe a reference page that has JD number that can be cross referenced to stens or other aftermarket brands. Something I can bookmark for later use.
Like I said, I've cross matched most of them. Just hoping to find a way of doing a little faster.
Looking up all those JD part numbers, one by one yesterday took a long time. And still came down to not getting all of them.
Some of the parts listed on JD's website, said to contact dealer on prices. And most of them didn't have their sizes listed. Some just had the weight. Or maybe the OD. Not the ID or the bolt hole size.

I called Partstree yesterday and the lady told me they couldn't cross reference JD part numbers.

Sorry if I didn't express that in the OP.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Go to the Prime Line , Rotary , Oregon & Stens web pages .
Then search the list of part numbers that you have.
If there are cheaper aftermarket parts available then they will be listed .
For the belts , well we went through that proceedure in the Pix belt thread.

Now a word to the wise on this one.
Do not make a noose to hang yourself.
The owner says he is going to buy a new mower, so skip the pulleys & just do the belt.
Reason being there is a better than average chance when he gets the new one he will sell the old one listed as
"just had a full service by local technican ( might even mention you by name )
New owner buys the mower thinking you have done a full & proper refurbishment only to find it was done on the cheap and you get a cheapskate shortcut reputation.
When I get these types of jobs I write on the invoice "aftermarket parts fitted as per instructions - no warranty "

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Oh no.. You got me all wrong, man. Not looking for someone to look up all these parts for me. Just maybe a reference page that has JD number that can be cross referenced to stens or other aftermarket brands. Something I can bookmark for later use.
Like I said, I've cross matched most of them. Just hoping to find a way of doing a little faster.
Looking up all those JD part numbers, one by one yesterday took a long time. And still came down to not getting all of them.
Some of the parts listed on JD's website, said to contact dealer on prices. And most of them didn't have their sizes listed. Some just had the weight. Or maybe the OD. Not the ID or the bolt hole size.

I called Partstree yesterday and the lady told me they couldn't cross reference JD part numbers.

Sorry if I didn't express that in the OP.

No factory web page lists the specifications of their parts.
There is no need for it as they have told you they are the correct parts for the mower.
The aftermarket suppliers usually list the dimensions so you can verify that they are correct for the mower.
Occasionally if there have been a modification the IPL might list belt length or pulley diameters because they have changed from the original.
When I started I was spending 3 hours on the web for every hour in the workshop.
I got it down to about 0.5 for every hour with a tool in hand, excluding invoicing and as I now price match to a prominant on line retailer, that takes quite some time .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The v-idlers on the drive belt should be replaced as they wear heavy and the drive belt will bottom out in them causing belt slippage. They be the same size with just different standoff bushings. If so it just a matter changing them out on the pulleys that you can get. It been over five since I worked the last Scotts/Sarbe 1642 mower so I don't if they the two v-ilders are the same pulley with different standoff bushings or not.

Anyway if your in the business of repairs don't short change your rep. I had customers to tell me the same thing and guess what they bring the same mower back in a few years where they never replaced it.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Go to the Prime Line , Rotary , Oregon & Stens web pages .
Then search the list of part numbers that you have.
If there are cheaper aftermarket parts available then they will be listed .
For the belts , well we went through that proceedure in the Pix belt thread.

Now a word to the wise on this one.
Do not make a noose to hang yourself.
The owner says he is going to buy a new mower, so skip the pulleys & just do the belt.
Reason being there is a better than average chance when he gets the new one he will sell the old one listed as
"just had a full service by local technican ( might even mention you by name )
New owner buys the mower thinking you have done a full & proper refurbishment only to find it was done on the cheap and you get a cheapskate shortcut reputation.
When I get these types of jobs I write on the invoice "aftermarket parts fitted as per instructions - no warranty "

I was thinking about this last night. We're communication mostly on facebook messenger, mostly. Him requesting the cheap way, was done by messenger. And it's already noted on the work order. As well as the running receipt. But I did tell him, I won't put cheap aftermarket parts on the drive line. If they're aftermarket parts, they'll be decent ones. I was thinking there's also a chance that it's performing a lot better than expected when he gets it back, and don't want to sell it.
So that puts me in a position of putting good aftermarket parts on it, and not just the cheapo parts that won't last the season. Being new around here, I don't wanna get a bad rep, like you said.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
No factory web page lists the specifications of their parts.
There is no need for it as they have told you they are the correct parts for the mower.
The aftermarket suppliers usually list the dimensions so you can verify that they are correct for the mower.
Occasionally if there have been a modification the IPL might list belt length or pulley diameters because they have changed from the original.
When I started I was spending 3 hours on the web for every hour in the workshop.
I got it down to about 0.5 for every hour with a tool in hand, excluding invoicing and as I now price match to a prominant on line retailer, that takes quite some time .

That's exactly what I'm going through right now. Usually, with things like Craftsman & MTD, it's pretty simple, because the part numbers cross over to just about every brand. Including the sizes. But since the part sizes aren't listed from the JD websites, measuring each one, takes a lot longer.
Especially since I don't remove a pulley, idler or much of anything else, until I get the new part in hand.

But, as it would seem, until I get a lot more familiar with JD parts, I'll have to just take the long way around.

I just signed up with Stens. Or filled out their online customer application. From what I know, Stens sells pretty reliable parts, don't they?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
You can try getting the JD number and just search that number on Ebay or just Google. Many times if there is a aftermarket cross it will show up. The crapshoot is yours and the customers. I am always wary of "fix it cheap as you can" customers. On your receipt and carbon copy be sure to detail what he does not want fixed and what is warranted and what is not. Cover your butt. You do have a receipt book with carbon for your records don't you?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That's exactly what I'm going through right now. Usually, with things like Craftsman & MTD, it's pretty simple, because the part numbers cross over to just about every brand. Including the sizes. But since the part sizes aren't listed from the JD websites, measuring each one, takes a lot longer.
Especially since I don't remove a pulley, idler or much of anything else, until I get the new part in hand.

But, as it would seem, until I get a lot more familiar with JD parts, I'll have to just take the long way around.

I just signed up with Stens. Or filled out their online customer application. From what I know, Stens sells pretty reliable parts, don't they?
You can put the OEM part number into the Stens search and it will tell you if it is in their system and what the stens part number is. Don't even need to login in to do it. You can't get the prices without a login but at least you will know if they have it or not. Most aftermarket parts are not cheaper than OEM in a lot of cases and in some cases are even more expensive.