Needing help with Briggs and Stratton V Twin.

willrross

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 16 HP Briggs and Stratton that will not stay running..It will start up fine but after putting it in gear and go about 2 to 10 ft it will start back firing through the carburetor and more or less shut down and then when the rpm's are almost down to zero it will start back up but will repeat that same process...I replaced the fuel pump, sanded the outer stater , took the carburetor apart and make sure there wasn't any blockage, and checked the floats for any holes..Is there anyone that might be able to give me any advice on what might be something that I can check would greatly be appreciated..Respectfully Wm

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Start the engine then move the govenor control arm ( throttle link on carb ) slowly open.
If the engine increases in revs smoothly and maintains revs then your problem is with the govenor .
If it coughs, splutters, dies misses etc the problem is in the fuel , electrics.
Pop an inline spark tester on the plugs and do the same thing, you will need a helper so one of you can watch both plugs at the same time.
If they flash erratically then you have a problem with the ignitin system.
If they flash consistantly while the engine is going haywire you have a fuel problem.