Need the Parts Number for a Deck Belt for a Craftsman Model 917270622

JCAllison

Threads
  • / Need the Parts Number for a Deck Belt for a Craftsman Model 917270622
Hey all... It has been some time since my last visit. Am in kind of a bind with Karel, the Craftsman 42" Riding Lawn Tractor. On April 22, 2020, a tornado hit here and destroyed my sweetheart, Lorrie Van Haul, the last 1967 Dodge P200 Post Office Vehicle in the world. Some people came to help clean up the place, and in the process one of them took it upon himself to redo the plastic, and Tarp covering Karel. Not knowing what he was doing, he didn't get Karel completely covered, and so the ensuing rains came, and got on Karel's Mower Deck with disastrous results. It has taken two years to recover from the tornado, and one of the last things needed was to get Karel back up and running. The local Lawn Mower Shop had Karel for nearly 5 months, and finally got her functioning again.

So here is the problem... Karel worked good for the first mowing, but the next morning when trying to finish the job, of a sudden when mowing, Karel would start a clattering sound. It would cease when on the pavement, but would start again when mowing resumed. Not knowing what was causing this, Karel was parked, and subsequently her Mower Deck was removed. Couldn't find anything amiss with mechanical components, but did notice that the Mower Deck Drive Belt was very "glazed". When the clattering would happen, I noticed that the grass had not been cut, but had just been laid down. From this, and the glaze on the Belt, have come to suspect that the Belt has stretched and is just slipping around Pulleys.

So what I am wanting to do is obtain another Mower Deck Belt. Now this would not normally be a problem, but it seems that the local Lawn Mower Shop has, for reasons unknown, gone out of business. Their webpage says "Permanently Closed". Which leaves me with the alternative of obtaining the NEW Belt from the Internet. The problem is that I don't know what the Parts Number for a NEW Belt is.

And so here I am, once again looking to all you guys for THAT information. Would very much appreciate any assistance that can be given. Thanks in advance for any help that may be forthcoming.

Hope this finds you all doing well. Take care, and stay safe.

JCAllison

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
According to Sears,

P/N 532144200​

or a 1/2" x 88" belt, or a

Stens 265-092​

Stens are good quality and should be cheaper than the Original belt. you can find them on Amazon and Ebay, or your local mower repair place.

Very sorry to hear about the tornado, never any good from them. hope you get everything back to normal.

JCAllison

Threads
According to Sears,

P/N 532144200​

or a 1/2" x 88" belt, or a

Stens 265-092​

Stens are good quality and should be cheaper than the Original belt. you can find them on Amazon and Ebay, or your local mower repair place.

Very sorry to hear about the tornado, never any good from them. hope you get everything back to normal.
Hey Mr. SC, thanks for the prompt reply. The Mower Model Number is in the Thread Title. Will look at your referenced parts numbers.

Thanks again for the assistance. Hope this finds YOU doing well. Stay safe.

JCAllison

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Or if in a hurry get a Gates 4L800K, 6880, or A86 belt from your local auto parts store. All three are power rated and are 1/2 x 88".

JCAllison

Threads
Or if in a hurry get a Gates 4L800K, 6880, or A86 belt from your local auto parts store. All three are power rated and are 1/2 x 88".
Hey Mr. ST, thanks for the quick reply. Am afraid that there isn't a local auto part store. But not to despair... Have found a Stens 265-092 from the V-Belt Guys... ( https://www.vbeltguys.com/products/...belt?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cse ), and am awaiting its arrival within the coming week.

Have discovered that while at the local Lawn Mower Shop, something pretty hefty got dropped on Karel's Hood. It bent the Dash Cowl, dented the Hood, and destroyed the Hood Hinges. So am going to have to figure out a way to straighten the Dash Cowl and Hood, and fix the Hinges. It's always something.

Anyway, thanks again for the response, and the info. Hope this finds YOU doing well, and staying safe.

JCAllison

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
By and large the hood is ornamental so you can mow without it no problems.
Only downside is the fan sucks in a bit more dust so annual fin cleaning is a must if there is no hood & of course weather damage if you can not store it under cover .
If storing outside, a couple of sheets of tin bent into a V is a lot better than a tarp held down firm to the ground
FWIW I use BBQ covers which fit better last longer & are cheaper than mower covers

JCAllison

Threads
By and large the hood is ornamental so you can mow without it no problems.
Only downside is the fan sucks in a bit more dust so annual fin cleaning is a must if there is no hood & of course weather damage if you can not store it under cover .
If storing outside, a couple of sheets of tin bent into a V is a lot better than a tarp held down firm to the ground
FWIW I use BBQ covers which fit better last longer & are cheaper than mower covers
Hey Mr. B, had suspected that mowing could be done sans Hood, but would still like to have it in place just on general principles. Have been contemplating ways to make the Hood usable and am sure that something can be worked out to make THAT possible.

The way that Karel is stored is with Vizqueen Plastic Sheet, and one of those Blue Plastic Tarps, held in place with Paracord. All of this drapes over Karel, and is wide and long enough to allow a margin about a foot wide all around Karel's perimeter. Works good as long as someone doesn't take it upon himself to redo the arrangement, and in the process tuck the covers under the chassis leaving the Blade Deck exposed.

Anyway, thanks you and everyone here at the Lawn Mower Forum for being so knowledgeable and willing to help. This is Karel's "go to" Forum for assistance. Both she and I thank all of you.

Hope this finds you all doing well, taking excellent care, and staying safe.

JCAllison

BeachBoy1942

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey all... It has been some time since my last visit. Am in kind of a bind with Karel, the Craftsman 42" Riding Lawn Tractor. On April 22, 2020, a tornado hit here and destroyed my sweetheart, Lorrie Van Haul, the last 1967 Dodge P200 Post Office Vehicle in the world. Some people came to help clean up the place, and in the process one of them took it upon himself to redo the plastic, and Tarp covering Karel. Not knowing what he was doing, he didn't get Karel completely covered, and so the ensuing rains came, and got on Karel's Mower Deck with disastrous results. It has taken two years to recover from the tornado, and one of the last things needed was to get Karel back up and running. The local Lawn Mower Shop had Karel for nearly 5 months, and finally got her functioning again.

So here is the problem... Karel worked good for the first mowing, but the next morning when trying to finish the job, of a sudden when mowing, Karel would start a clattering sound. It would cease when on the pavement, but would start again when mowing resumed. Not knowing what was causing this, Karel was parked, and subsequently her Mower Deck was removed. Couldn't find anything amiss with mechanical components, but did notice that the Mower Deck Drive Belt was very "glazed". When the clattering would happen, I noticed that the grass had not been cut, but had just been laid down. From this, and the glaze on the Belt, have come to suspect that the Belt has stretched and is just slipping around Pulleys.

So what I am wanting to do is obtain another Mower Deck Belt. Now this would not normally be a problem, but it seems that the local Lawn Mower Shop has, for reasons unknown, gone out of business. Their webpage says "Permanently Closed". Which leaves me with the alternative of obtaining the NEW Belt from the Internet. The problem is that I don't know what the Parts Number for a NEW Belt is.

And so here I am, once again looking to all you guys for THAT information. Would very much appreciate any assistance that can be given. Thanks in advance for any help that may be forthcoming.

Hope this finds you all doing well. Take care, and stay safe.

JCAllison

BeachBoy1942

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've had several Craftsmen lawn tractors over the years and all had a label on the underside of the hood with belt numbers, air filter #'s and more.

Bellcrank

Threads
Some where on the flat or outside of the belt is the belt number . Can be worn off , but good place to start.