Need new cutting blades STX38

Re: Need new cutting blades STX 38 NO start today!

Remove starter cable ( at solenoid end ) that goes between the solenoid and starter. Clamp a positive jumper cable from the loose cable end to a known good battery positive post. With the brake set and transmission in neutral, touch the negative cable to the oil drain plug after clamping to the negative known good battery. If it cranks, have the tractor battery fully charged somewhere and load tested.

I did remove - clamp- and jumped starter to same battery in unit and it turned over ...solenoid not in the best of shape. nor were the two wires going to the + side. I will replaced all corroded terminals and wires. Both small wires (black/red)were replaced once before. I wonder if one should be the fused link?
Thanks for your help. Slow going do to bad back!
 
I've been running Oregon blades on my black-decked STX38 this years. They cut just as good as JD OEM but cost tons less. I actually ordered them off Amazon last fall. No complaints. As far as the deck goes, I clean mine every couple of weeks & coat with PB Blaster. Not sure if that's the correct method but that's how my Grandfather did his mowers when I was young & he had a JD that lasted 27 years.
I have a 27 year old mower and I still mow with it, they made them a lot tougher back in the day.
 
Re: Need new cutting blades STX 38 NO start today!

Remove starter cable ( at solenoid end ) that goes between the solenoid and starter. Clamp a positive jumper cable from the loose cable end to a known good battery positive post. With the brake set and transmission in neutral, touch the negative cable to the oil drain plug after clamping to the negative known good battery. If it cranks, have the tractor battery fully charged somewhere and load tested.

The new solenoid fixed the problem.:smile:
 
Back
Top