need model number help Please!

loisyoung12

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 15 hp huskee mower with a 38 inch deck I believe it is a 600 series I think it is a 2003. I think I have finally got the deck back on correctly. I replaced the carburetor, spark plug etc. The engine now runs great. The original problem was the steering. I believe I have gotten it fixed. The problem is I took it apart 3 years ago and then became very sick. I had forgotten anything about the springs. Now it will run but I can't control the speed. With it turned off the speed control lever moves freely. I think that must be where a spring goes but I have no idea. Can anyone help?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Welcome! Hope you're feeling better now.
By speed do you mean How fast the mower goes, or how fast the engine is going?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you could supply the engine model number as well as engine serial number or other marking on the engine MTD sometimes has the exact engine listed by model number on the dealer site and can narrow it down to a few models or in some cases one model.

loisyoung12

Forum Newbie
Threads
Welcome! Hope you're feeling better now.
By speed do you mean How fast the mower goes, or how fast the engine is going?
It is the actual speed I can't slow it down it is like it is in 6th gear. I can slow the engine down, but as soon as I put it in gear it takes off.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm guessing that has the variable speed belt drive deal and the drive has froze up while sitting for so long. Have to get under there and check it out and free up the pulley that's not changing pitch if so.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I think Tom is on the money but MTD fited a few variations to the vari drive system so without the information Ilengine asked for we are shooting in the dark, particularly with spring locations