Need mechanic help please

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Funny the specs are up to 7.5 mph.

Hustler Raptor SD specs

And these specs say up to and not that every mower will go this fast.

Now of course I don't have a radar gun to check a mower's speed either but apparently you have access to one.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Bad Boy ZT Elite is a residential mower, equipped with Hydro-Gear ZT3100 hydros. A speed of “up to” 7 mph is just about right. If you want speed, you would need to move up to the Maverick and Maverick HD to start seeing an increase in ground speed. If you have a bumpy lawn, 7 mph is about all a human body can handle.

rmeredith88

Forum Newbie
Threads
Funny the specs are up to 7.5 mph.

Hustler Raptor SD specs

And these specs say up to and not that every mower will go this fast.

Now of course I don't have a radar gun to check a mower's speed either but apparently you have access to one.
I do I'm a cop. Come on man I'm trying to get bad boy right. Not interested in Hustler feed back. Thanks though. You should know don't go by specs I have a 29 hp on my hustler.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Then with the Hydro Gear ZT-3100 you need the increase amount of forward movement of the control which may only possible by extending the point of the control arms Which make the arms a lot more sensitive to movement. Or put larger rear tires if the clearance is there for 24" tires instead of the 22" tires.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And the size of the engine means nothing as they are governed to 3600 rpm regardless of engine size.
hydro gear drives are very speed sensitive .
Spin them too slow and the oil tracks out the side causing erosion damage
Spin then too fast and they leak between the inlet & outlet holes on the valve plate and wear there
No mower maker puts out speed specifications for their mowers .
It is not some thing that technicians either fix nor adjust .
People just do not understand that they are mowers , not go carts, not ATV's, not cars
Mowers are very price sensitive so they are all made down to the lowest price possible
Thus nothing odd to see 2 seemingly identical mowers and have one go 20% faster than the other
Tight specks require hgh precision manufacturing and high precision manufacturing costs money

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Maximum speed on a Hydro-Gear ZT3100 is 9 MPH. How much a mower weighs and how the manufacturers set up their mowers determines the actual speed.

The Hydro-Gear ZT2800 has a maximum speed of 8 MPH.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Maximum speed on a Hydro-Gear ZT3100 is 9 MPH. How much a mower weighs and how the manufacturers set up their mowers determines the actual speed.

The Hydro-Gear ZT2800 has a maximum speed of 8 MPH.
A transmission has a maximum rotational speed at the axel
The ground speed will be determined by the diameter of the tyres
To the transmission running a wheel that is one inch bigger diameter will put more load on the transmission so in theory might restrict the top speed but in practice
a bigger wheel is no different to towing

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
A transmission has a maximum rotational speed at the axel
The ground speed will be determined by the diameter of the tyres
To the transmission running a wheel that is one inch bigger diameter will put more load on the transmission so in theory might restrict the top speed but in practice
a bigger wheel is no different to towing
And, that’s why mower manufacturers have different speed numbers on units equipped with the same hydros. Different branded machines equipped with exactly the same hydros will have different sized tires and some will weigh a little more than others. That’s where some of the different ground speed are seen.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Plus the engine drive pulleys can be different diameters. Smaller drive pulleys will reduce the speed which the driven pulley is driven at.