Need Hydro-Gear Fan

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
That is why you should know how the read and decode the model numbers. The OP had posted the model number and I decoded for the right fan/pulley setup of the nearly 20 different fan pulley combos.. Then using the price file provide to me by Gardner (my part distributor) I saw the part was superseded to a new number.

Kevin Toadman

Threads
while you have the unit out it would be a good time to change oil in it. 2 qt 20/50w engine oil. I am sure if fan was broken it has been hot a few times and condensate a bit of water. I have the same mower and fan blade was broken and at times would just stop pulling until allowed to cool. New fan and oil and has been fine for two years.
Thanks, you know I thought about changing the oil in it, I may do both while I'm at it.

Kevin Toadman

Threads
Just send an email to Hydro-Gear with the part number on the sticker attached with the transmission and they'll send you the exact replacement part number. I had to replace the fan on my Troy-Bilt zero turn a couple of years ago. The replacement part for my mower was also 72134, but there are different configurations for EZTs. Hydro-Gear responded within 1 day. Contact info is at the bottom of their website. I also drained and refilled the fluid in both transmissions at the same time. The fill port is on top and the service manual is on Hydro-Gear's web site. I used Mobil1 15w-50.

Thanks for the reply. I contacted Hydro, they gave me the 72134 number which includes the pulley, nut, washer, etc. 53050 is the fan by itself, I bought two for less than the 72134 "kit". Now I have a spare in case something knocks the blades off again.

Rocky J

Threads
Thanks, you know I thought about changing the oil in it, I may do both while I'm at it.
my oil looked like a chocolate milk shake . I used a 5 gallon bucket to lay my unit upside down on over night.

Kevin Toadman

Threads
Thanks for the reply. I contacted Hydro, they gave me the 72134 number which includes the pulley, nut, washer, etc. 53050 is the fan by itself, I bought two for less than the 72134 "kit". Now I have a spare in case something knocks the blades off again.

my oil looked like a chocolate milk shake . I used a 5 gallon bucket to lay my unit upside down on over night.
Wow, I will for sure change both now. I'll research the amount, I believe I saw somewhere they hold 56 oz each or something like that.

Kevin Toadman

Threads
Wow, I will for sure change both now. I'll research the amount, I believe I saw somewhere they hold 56 oz each or something like that.
I also have a 1998 Craftsman hydro that I've never changed fluid in. Now I'm thinking about doing that, it's working fine though.

Rocky J

Threads
You fill it up and it was just under two qt on each side. 20w/50 . Be sure two fill it before you reinstall because there is no access to the fill plug in the frame once installed. I used a electric drill with a socket to spin my pulley and cycle it from forwards and reverse to get out any air .

Kevin Toadman

Threads
You fill it up and it was just under two qt on each side. 20w/50 . Be sure two fill it before you reinstall because there is no access to the fill plug in the frame once installed. I used a electric drill with a socket to spin my pulley and cycle it from forwards and reverse to get out any air .
Sounds good, thanks for the tips. Is there a fill line or a plug that you remove and fill til it runs out? I'm at work now and not in the shop.

Rocky J

Threads
Sounds good, thanks for the tips. Is there a fill line or a plug that you remove and fill til it runs out? I'm at work now and not in the shop.
There is a vent plug with a hose barb on it and also a plug ,the plug hole will fill fast , fill it full on the plug hole, they are on the top when laying in its mounted position