Need help

nyyfan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all, I am currently looking to pull the trigger in the next couple days on a new ZTR lawnmower and I am looking for some help from those that know.

I currently have a little more than a 1/2 acre to mow and it is pretty flat. Not to many obstacles to mow around yet but we have big plans for flower beds and trees to plant so I really like the zero turns and have narrowed it down to an Ariens or Gravely mower.

Here is what I have narrowed it down to.
I have gotten a good price on a Gravely 1734 mower with the Kohler 17hp mower which was used once then returned since they had some hills it did not do well with.

Next is a new Ariens 22 hp twin kohler courage motor 42 in cutting deck.

Last option is a Ariens 1840 with the 18.5 briggs motor on it.

I really like both, and if I go with the Ariens with the 22hp 42in deck, I can get if from a local shop where I would like to use for service in the future. The other Ariens and Gravely are from a dealer in Massachusetts, and I will still plan on using the local dealer for service. My dilema is I have read some reviews on the web about some problems with kohler engines in the past. What is everyones take on Kohler engines, both the 17hp and the 22hp twin? Are there any problems to look out for? When I was at another dealer, who happened to be a exmark dealer I spoke with a mechanic that said to stay away from kohler motors and if possible go with a kawasaki. Unfortunatley the kawasaki is not offered in the models I am looking at so it's gonna have to be kohler or briggs. I have also heard that even though both mowers are made by Ariens/Gravely, that the Gravely is the better machine. Is this true?

Thanks in advance for any posts and advice.
Nyyfan

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Welcome to the forum....
From what I have read you are on the right track... Not a huge difference in your two engine choices.... But the Kohler has been getting beat on lately, but then so has Briggs...

Between the two makes, Ariens and Gravely... again very close to the same... I might give the Gravely a slight edge... but not for any good reason... ? :smile:KennyV

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you haven't done it yet - I'd test drive them and see how they "FEEL" to you.
Is there any difference in warranty on the engines or mowers ?

Had a Gravely tractor and loved it (it was a tank) :thumbsup:. Have no experience with Ariens.

If you can find out - I understand some of the new engines are actually made in China -- Where they are made would be a factor for me.

nyyfan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the replies so far.

I have been able to test all of the mowers that I am considering, except for the ariens 1840 which was in the warehouse. I would have to say that they the ariens 2242 rides a little better, but then again this is my first zero turn and I can't really tell, and as of the first of this year any Ariens/Gravely mowers now comes with a three year warranty instead of a two.

Does anyone have an opinion on the Briggs and Stratton Intek engine? I can the 16hp on a gravely or on the Ariens 1840.

Thanks,
Nyyfan

nyyfan

Forum Newbie
Threads
After much debate, I think I am going to pull the trigger on a new gravely zt 42 with the 22hp kawasaki twin. Does anyone have any experience or an opinion on the kawi? It's a fr motor. I also went to a local shop today and spoke with a mechanic and he is not the first that said the kohler is not bad just gonna cost you in the long run. I hope I am making the right decision.

Nyyfan

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
It will do everything you need it to do...
Happy mowing.... :smile:KennyV

nyyfan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Got the new mower yesterday and man I was shocked. Mowing the lawn is a lot of fun now. Got everything done in 45 mins as opposed to the 1 1/2 hours from the past. Thanks for all the info here.

Nyyfan