Need help with Hydraulic Oil Change procedure

Suzukiguy

Threads
Well......It looks like it worked! I removed the oil tank, cleaned it out, installed a new filter, opened the hoses on the wheel motors, let the system drain, ran it for a very short time, re-connected the hoses and ran the tank return hose into a catch can. I wanted to be sure that any remaining water-fouled oil did not go back into the tank. After purging the air from the system and going through 8 quarts of oil, now only clean oil is being dumped back into the catch can. I'm going to go through a few more quarts just to be on the safe side. Lots of oil used but a lot cheaper than new pumps or motors!

Gord Baker

Threads
Thanks for the replies. Looks like I will be changing the filter and the oil in the tank a few times to make sure it is not contaminated with water.
Try draining a bit of oil from the bottom ot the tank and let it sit for a day. Water if present will sink to bottom. Change Filter. Don't over think this. It is unlikely that there is much if any water in the oil unless done on purpose.

Suzukiguy

Threads
There was quite a bit of water in the wheel motors as the mower had been run some before I got it. When I removed the hoses from the wheel motors the oil was a very light brown. Also the oil coming out was the same color light brown. It's all good now!