Need help with Hydraulic Oil Change procedure

Suzukiguy

Threads
I recently acquired a Snapper ZT14880KH mower that had been sitting outside over the winter and am wanting to change out the hydraulic oil. I have searched the forum (with my limited skills) and cannot find any explanation of this procedure. The manual does not show this, only how to change the filter??? Can someone enlighten me as to the correct way to change the hydraulic oil in this machine?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Need to confirm that model number Not showing up in any of my parts diagrams. Found a ZT18440KH. The best number will be on the tag and should consist of 7 digits and maybe followed with a dash and 2 numbers.

Suzukiguy

Threads
I'm such an idiot. It is a Model #ZT18440KH. Geez, sorry!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
AFA the mower company is concerned the transmission is a sealed unit and not part of the mower proper
So the instruction for maintaining the transmission will come from the transmission maker & not the mower maker
Some where on the transmission will be a sticker with the makers name a bar code & the model & serial numbers

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
AFA the mower company is concerned the transmission is a sealed unit and not part of the mower proper
So the instruction for maintaining the transmission will come from the transmission maker & not the mower maker
Some where on the transmission will be a sticker with the makers name a bar code & the model & serial numbers
This not a sealed unit.
1648038109659.png
1648038055465.png
But the OP can only change the filter and whatever oil that is in the reserve tank. In order to change the oil the pumps it require disassembling them and using an oil extractor then of course several o-rings have to be replaced. Each pump holds about 3/4-1 qt of oil. Plus it is real tricky to even do this as the pump pistons and springs will not stay in place; unless, the pumps are removed and turned upside down during the reassembly. I did find way to keep the pistons in place on the last job but it is a hat trick to do it.

It is not advisable for for an inexperience tech to do this. Beside the spring and check ball can be lost during this time. Note: If the check ball is plastic it will need to be replaced too.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
For all practical purposed the hydraulic drive service consist of removing the oil filter catching all the oil out of the oil tank , replace the oil filter and refill the tank. Run to purge air from the filter and top off tank.

Suzukiguy

Threads
Thanks for the replies. Looks like I will be changing the filter and the oil in the tank a few times to make sure it is not contaminated with water.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for the replies. Looks like I will be changing the filter and the oil in the tank a few times to make sure it is not contaminated with water.
If it turns a milky color than you have your work cut out for you. otherwise no big issue.

bkeller500

Threads
Thats probably your best approach. In effect flush it out several times. If you remove the filter, you are going to get most of the old fluid out. With the filter out, adding more fresh fluid may flush it out further, or pop on the new filter and refill with fresh fluid and run for a few minutes and do it all over again. It may require several refills so it could get a little pricey but it's better to pay now or than to pay more later.... You may be able to look up the manufacturers manuals on-line and see what it tells you or you could call them and explain your situation and see what they recommend. I'm sure they have a CSR that can advise you.

Suzukiguy

Threads
"If it turns a milky color than you have your work cut out for you. otherwise no big issue."

Well it is milky! Wondering if slightly cracking the hoses on the wheel motors would help "flush" out the system? Of course making sure that there is new fluid in the tank to go into the system???? Would that not "force" new fluid from the tank thru the pump and wheel motors? Any thoughts on this?