Need help identifying antique mower [issue resolved}

W

wesleykey

Does anyone know who makes this? Looking for any identifying info.

Attachments

• IMG_1412 (1).jpg
    IMG_1412 (1).jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1411 (1).jpg
    IMG_1411 (1).jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 44

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
All engine number are located above the Spartan plug wire on the shroud. I have found no records of a Chieftair mower.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Lots of Chieftain equipment names, didn't see that one. Looks like a Briggs 4 hp, maybe 11ci, electronic ignition, mid 1980s I'd guess. Steel deck mower, probably a big box store branded mower made by another company.

W

wesleykey

All engine number are located above the Spartan plug wire on the shroud. I have found no records of a Chieftair mower.
I looked but did not see a model number there.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It will be stamped into the shroud, either on the top or side. Get a bright light and look carefully.

gainestruk

Threads
I remember OTASCO {Oklahoma Tire And Supply Company} sold Chieftan mowers like that in the 80's.

W

wesleykey

Found it very faintly stamped model 110902. Not sure if I can get it to run or not. I cleaned the plug, changed the oil, cleaned the carb, and it won't even burn gas poured directly into the carb.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Found it very faintly stamped model 110902. Not sure if I can get it to run or not. I cleaned the plug, changed the oil, cleaned the carb, and it won't even burn gas poured directly into the carb.
no spark most likely., or it could even be a bad spark plug. try dumping a small amount of gas (a tablespoon or so) into the spark plug hole, reinstall the plug and try to start.
it appears coil was superseded to a new magnetron coil ( https://www.partstree.com/parts/mtd-bs-591420/ ) which does not require points or a condenser.
parts diagram

Last edited:
W

wesleykey

On that engine you are going to have to replace the pump diagram between the carb and tank if it has been sitting for a while. This manual may be of some help. You will find the type and code numbers next to the model number you found. https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6NaqjIxWV1ycG8wd0s3Z2Q2X00
OK, but I dumped gas in the carb and it won't burn. I think I'll check spark/ignition coil first, but keep the diaphragm on the list.