Need help identifing an engine

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it keeps on raining you won't need to mow around the dam, it will be full.
A full dam makes a happy farmer.
They got 6" yesterday on the farm and up to 10" in the catchment so the bridge is closed.
Thus no work for me today as I live on the other side of the river.

Pumper54

Threads
Bert,
The issue about the dam is that if we got to much rain there the natural spill way can not handle it and the pond over flows the dam. After the last big storm we had I found the floating dock and the small boat we keep there on top of the dam. Kinda worried that the dam might be damaged by to much water.

I did get to start mowing the fields and got about 3/4 done when I broke the blade belt on the mower. I guess a home owner mower is not supposed to cut 3 feet tall grass. Oops.
Tom

primerbulb120

Lawn Addict
Threads
You need a wheeled string trimmer! 1/8 inch Oregon Gatorline and a 7 HP engine can tackle that grass. We have a 10+ year old DR trimmer that's still going strong. It gets used for all the things that I don't want to subject my mower to. :smile:

Pumper54

Threads
Oh when I need to get down and dirty with the weeds and/or grass I get out the "Mower from Hell" LOL I picked up a $25.00 mower from a local company, cut the front open so the blade can directly contact the stuff in front of it, opened up the rear discharge chute a bit, added on an extended intake to get the filter up above the dust and grass clippings and go to town.

MOD Large.jpg MOD Large 2.jpg Side view snorkle.jpgFilter close up.jpg

Tom

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The old domestics would happily do that but the new ones have been downgraded to the point they can just barely cut the grass.
I always like to use 2 strokes on sloppy grounds .
Down here I use a Victa super 24, you must have a similar product over there. You call them roughing mowers or something similar.
We call them slashers and I cut down 2" diameter sapplings with mine yet it is still good enough to mow the ground around the house.
There has to be a similar Lawn boy

Pumper54

Threads
Bert,
I have down loaded the pictures you posted of a slasher and we have machines like that here. DR makes a couple but they tend to run several thousand dollars and I can't afford one. I did rent a walk behind brush cutter several years ago to reclaim some areas where the brush was getting out of hand and that puppy flat tore up some brush. :) Did the "Happy Man" dance that day. My home made mower works fine for now but I have been thinking about trying to fab up a front mounted slasher using scrap steel I have, a spindle off a mower deck and some wheels to support it. Not sure if it will mount to the front of my Murry and drive the blade off of it or make it self powered with an engine off a busted deck mower.
Tom

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Arrrh Tom, now I remember you.
I see you have done an appropriate paint job on your modified mower.
I like a person with a sense of humour.
You might like to think about doing something similar on a side discharge mower.
Oddly enough they seem to work better that way.
If you end up making the up front, drive it off your mower and use an electric PTO so you can shut it down in an instant.
I put a new(er) engine in the Rover with an electric PTO on it and that has made life a lot better.
Cranky I did not do it a lot earlier