need expert advice selecting a garden tractor for 3 acres of pasture

sftracker

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / need expert advice selecting a garden tractor for 3 acres of pasture
I'd like some help in identifying a suitable used garden tractor. I have 20 acres and mow about 3 of those. It's a very large field (not a lawn), mostly level but a few inclines here and there, lots of gopher and mole mounds, no rocks. Half of it is open meadow the other half involves mowing weeds through an oak forest. I'm interested in what type of tractors knowldegeable folks here might recommend and what kind of features are important -- for instance, is 4 wheel drive essential? What size motor/tranny configuration should I look for? I've been mowing all of this with a high wheel, push type string mower
(.155 string) and that works but it takes about 3 full days to do it all so I'm ready to purchase a good used mower. I'm willing to spend $2500 to $3500 and I can do some work on it myself (as long as I don't need to rebuild the engine or tranny). The durability and reliability of the running gear is far more important to me than how the paint looks. I need a machine I can count on and that won't let me down. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

robert

Threads
Sounds like the perfect place for a Cub 154 lowboy or similar-might just get one for what you are looking to spend.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
This was posted last night in your other thread by the same title.

Not knowing what might be available in your area, the best I can say is find a "Garden Tractor" not a "Lawn Tractor" You might even want to think about a tow behind field mower. Most anything that is fairly heavy duty and reliable should be a BIG step up from what you are using. If there are any dealers in the area, go look at their used machines, ask questions, then look in the paper or trading publications.

173abn

Threads
Have you thought about a ZTR?You can find deals on CL.I found a good buy on a used Grasshopper diesel and was able to test drive it etc....russ