My new Snapper SR1433

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I could have sworn I replied - Yours could have been a hardened belt from sitting so long in one spot.
I guess the next thing will be to take JRs machine to MY dealer who is also Snapper authorized - they will either fix the problem or tell me it is a **** design !

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
I could have sworn I replied - Yours could have been a hardened belt from sitting so long in one spot.
I guess the next thing will be to take JRs machine to MY dealer who is also Snapper authorized - they will either fix the problem or tell me it is a **** design !

Hardened belt, hardened grease, rusty spot on the bare part of the deck pulley, could've been anything - but now, I can't support the "33 inch Snappers are no good because they vibrate" claim. Sorry. Mine is a 2007, so I doubt it if it's much different from JR's. I hope your dealer can find the problem.

gitnby

Threads
Fun thread!

It was definitely the belt, IMO! I saw the same thing happen on an old home-made log saw my Grandpa had.

He didn't use it for over a year, and when I turned it on, the thing sounded like a helicopter.

The belt had 2 distinct 'humps' in it, and that's what caused the vibration.

Neighbor took the belt, put it in a big pot and boiled it on his gas grill. Sprayed it with some belt dressing and it worked fine for 2 or 3 more years!

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Update -- I haven't taken that 33" Snapper in (because he uses it) ,but the factory belt broke and there is a new Gates belt on it. That thing still shakes & vibrates, so it wasn't the belt - J.R. now has an old feed sack filled with bubble wrap on the seat so he doesn't feel as much vibration. I think part of it is that he won't run it full throttle (can't convince him that it is OK) , but even at full throttle it still makes the steering handle shake like crazy.

benski

Threads
Update -- I haven't taken that 33" Snapper in (because he uses it) ,but the factory belt broke and there is a new Gates belt on it. That thing still shakes & vibrates, so it wasn't the belt - J.R. now has an old feed sack filled with bubble wrap on the seat so he doesn't feel as much vibration. I think part of it is that he won't run it full throttle (can't convince him that it is OK) , but even at full throttle it still makes the steering handle shake like crazy.

I know this sounds crazy, but is it possible that you've got a defective deck pulley on this thing? If the thing isn't concentric, might that account for the issues you're having?:eek:I'm just grasping at straws here, as "the best minds available:eek::biggrin:" have been working the problem for a while.:smile:

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I guess that just about anything is possible. I can see the mower deck belt vibrate from side to side on the left side (standing in front) while looking past the guard when the mower is engaged. This thing needs an idler pulley on that side. Maybe I will have more time to check everything out this winter. THAT is what the dealer should have done when we took it in the first time ! :mad: :thumbdown:
I know this sounds crazy, but is it possible that you've got a defective deck pulley on this thing? If the thing isn't concentric, might that account for the issues you're having?:eek:I'm just grasping at straws here, as "the best minds available:eek::biggrin:" have been working the problem for a while.:smile: