My Friend got ripped off by the Dealer.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I’m not proud to say this but, it used to be 5% of the people working on small engines shouldn’t be allowed to handle a screwdriver. Today it seems to have grown to 25%. When I retired 18 years ago I expected my students to know how to deal with customers and when to know when they are over their heads. If you graduated not knowing these two skills they wouldn’t get a recommendation from me. Those that didn’t get a recommendation are now part of the 25%.
cheap aftermarket chinese parts have made alot of "part swappers" but I bet none of them could yell How or why or what the specific issue was.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yesterday a guy brought in an older water pump with a 5hp briggs that wouldn't start. Nobody else would work on it. Turns out the points plunger was stuck so no spark. Fixed it in about 20 mins. He told one of the shops what was wrong and they told him it didn't have points.
Had a stihl string trimmer a shop said was burned up and bad compression. Cleaned the spark arrestor and good as new.
Had one where another shop changed starter, ignition switch and battery and still won't start. Turns out the ground cable was bad.
There is a difference between a parts changer and a diagnostic technician. You would be suprised how many technicians really don't know how to do real electrical trouble shooting. Asked a tech at a dealership if he did a voltage drop test and got the blank stare.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Yesterday a guy brought in an older water pump with a 5hp briggs that wouldn't start. Nobody else would work on it. Turns out the points plunger was stuck so no spark. Fixed it in about 20 mins. He told one of the shops what was wrong and they told him it didn't have points.
Had a stihl string trimmer a shop said was burned up and bad compression. Cleaned the spark arrestor and good as new.
Had one where another shop changed starter, ignition switch and battery and still won't start. Turns out the ground cable was bad.
There is a difference between a parts changer and a diagnostic technician. You would be suprised how many technicians really don't know how to do real electrical trouble shooting. Asked a tech at a dealership if he did a voltage drop test and got the blank stare.
Since I was young, I have always wanted to know “why”. I have always been thirsty for knowledge. The DIY mindset I got from my Dad, but didn’t exercise it for many years because a job and life got in the way.

I believe some shops just don’t want to take the time to figure things out on some equipment, so they say they are too busy, say it is “low on compression “ without knowing, or throw parts at it. Everything doesn’t actually need a carburetor cleaned or replaced. Take pride in yourself and the work you do. Show respect to your customers.

Lawn Pro
Threads
believe some shops just don’t want to take the time to figure things out on some equipment, so they say they are too busy, say it is “low on compression “ without knowing, or throw parts at it. Everything doesn’t actually need a carburetor cleaned or replaced. Take pride in yourself and the work you do. Show respect to your customers.
I think in todays world, many places don't care anymore.. Used to be a Pride in workmanship.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Nobody getting into OPE repair and working at a dealership is going to get rich. Tractor dealer near me just had their old 40+ year mechanic retire. He was the highest paid guy at the dealership. They won't work on anything more than a few years old now. They can't keep good new help because they don't pay well.
Young guys ask me what schools I went to to learn to fix small engines and equipment. I just kinda laugh to myself.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Nobody getting into OPE repair and working at a dealership is going to get rich. Tractor dealer near me just had their old 40+ year mechanic retire. He was the highest paid guy at the dealership. They won't work on anything more than a few years old now. They can't keep good new help because they don't pay well.
Young guys ask me what schools I went to to learn to fix small engines and equipment. I just kinda laugh to myself.
Several years ago my local community college taught a small engine and mower repair course. The only prerequisite was you had to be an inmate at the local state prison.