MY Bro (???), gave me his mower

sourdough doug

Forum Newbie
Threads
New guy on the block....Well, the other day, my brother, gave me his mower and now I think I know why. It wouldn't start to load but got it there anyway. Got it to my place and pullled the carb apart to find that ethanol had done it's thing. Got that squared away and started engine, together with a boost being as the battery is pooched as well...no biggy but when I put the batt. tester on when running, the tester registered 16V and higher with RPM. So, is it a regulator problem that I am facing before putting in a new battery and overcharging it ???

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

You know what your brother gave you but we don't
So make model numbers of the engine tag and the mower tag.
If you cant find them, post a photo & we will tell where to find them or work out what you have.

sourdough doug

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry about being not up to speed..

Make: Noma/Murray
Model: E4314110
S/N: S001091585016

Engine: Briggs & Stratton
Model: 287707
Type:022701
Code: 9404134 B

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don't feel bad some people have to be asked 10 times before they understand we really need those numbers to provide a meaning full response.

And yes most likely you will need a new regulator
We need to know which alternator is fitted and they are coded by the number of wires coming off them, the color of the wires and the color of the plug.
If there is no battery or it is totally dead some regulators will allow up to 20V for a brief time till they see some voltage in the battery or load on the alternator.
If you can hook it up to your car battery and try again.
If it reads 16V when on the car battery the regulator is toast.
Try to avoid no name chineese ones on evilbay as some are garbage and may even damage the alternator.
Genine Briggs ones are $30 to $ 50 depending upon where you get them from.
Stens ,Rotary, Prime Line & a few others do afermarket ones about 2/3 the B &S price and they come with a warrantee.