Murry 17.5 B&S Twin leaking from the bottom pan gasket

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
  • / Murry 17.5 B&S Twin leaking from the bottom pan gasket
Here's all the manual says for the end float, (play)
Crankshaft end play is .002"-.026" on vertical crankshaft engines with a .015" gasket in place. If end play is less than .002" additional gaskets .005" , .009" may be added to obtain correct end play.
if end play is more than .026" with a .015" gasket in place, install thrust washer (PN 222951). install thrust washer on PTO end of crankshaft, install on the magneto side of crankshaft if there is a ball bearing in the PTO side only. then adjust end play as described in the previous paragraph ^^.

This video maybe more helpful than those few paragraphs.

troy-built

Threads
Ok now I understand what you were talking about float/end play. Thanks for the video that was very helpful.

Thanks

Last edited:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Usually on the twins, you don't have to remove the exhaust pipes, they usually set down into the muffler mounted on the tractor.

troy-built

Threads
Usually on the twins, you don't have to remove the exhaust pipes, they usually set down into the muffler mounted on the tractor.
Yea that's what is looks like to me also.

troy-built

Threads
Well that was the easiest motor I have ever pulled. Nothing broke and it came right apart. Nothing was rusted or stuck. 45 min and it was on the work bench. Another 15 min and it was a part and I just ordered the gaskets and seals.

It should be back together next week.

Thanks again for the help.

Oh by the way you could tell the gasket was leaking it had oil on both sides of it in several places.

troy-built

Threads
Not on this one the muffler was bolted to the motor, once the bolts were removed it slid right off very easily. It's a great design.

troy-built

Threads
Update, My gaskets came in I put it all back together and it's running like new now with no leaks. Thanks for all the help.

Now to put on a new set of shoes as these are dry rotted BAD. Just ordered all 4.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
glad to hear it!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
OIl is cheap. Wally's mart has a gallon of 30w for like $9.75. Is it pouring out or just making a small mess?

Hey nice fix. Glad to hear she is back up slinging grass.

slomo

troy-built

Threads
Yea, I was amazed at how simple it really was. But I'm sure it not being rusted at all helped a lot.

Thanks again