Murry 17.5 B&S Twin leaking from the bottom pan gasket

troy-built

Threads
  • / Murry 17.5 B&S Twin leaking from the bottom pan gasket
Hi
I have a Murry with a 17.5 B&S Twin motor that runs awesome but it leaks on the left side of the bottom pan. I cleaned it very good and there is no doubt that's where it's leaking from when running. My question is, is it common? I've looked for hours with no luck. I don't think it's just blow by as it runs to good.

Thanks for any help with this.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I've never seen an opposed twin leak at the sump gasket, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. Every engine gasket can go bad and start leaking.

troy-built

Threads
Thanks for the reply, Yea I find it odd also. I cleaned it very good and got down with a light with it running and you can watch it run out of the pan. It's an old motor I believe it's from the 90s but it runs great.

troy-built

Threads
My next question is, is it a big deal to replace the gasket? Working on a motor is no problem for me but I've never replaced one on a small motor.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The hardest part is getting the engine pulley off to get the engine out of the mower.
Expect to break an exhaust bolt .
The only trick is setting end float which is done by varying the number of gaskets .

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I've got a Full service manual for the Twin i can upload/PM you some pages if you need.

troy-built

Threads
The hardest part is getting the engine pulley off to get the engine out of the mower.
Expect to break an exhaust bolt .
The only trick is setting end float which is done by varying the number of gaskets .

The end float? So you need to figure how thick of a gasket you might need?

I might be wrong, I've been wrong before, but it looks like you can pull the motor intact and turn it upside down take off the pullys and pan and change the gasket. LOL I guess I'm looking at it like a small block chevy motor? Is it not that easy?

troy-built

Threads
I've got a Full service manual for the Twin i can upload/PM you some pages if you need.
I will let you know and thanks for offering to help. I want to see if it's worth the trouble. I sure don't want to part it out as it's just to good of a mower.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
The end float? So you need to figure how thick of a gasket you might need?

I might be wrong, I've been wrong before, but it looks like you can pull the motor intact and turn it upside down take off the pullys and pan and change the gasket. LOL I guess I'm looking at it like a small block chevy motor? Is it not that easy?
That's how i did mine. I would also change the crankshaft seal, cheap insurance.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
if it's still working good and running good, it's definitely worth the effort.

the sump gaskets for this motor come in .005" thick, .009" and .015" thick.

Oil seal part, Briggs and Stratton 291675S