Export thread

Murry 17.5 B&S Twin leaking from the bottom pan gasket

troy-built

troy-built

Hi
I have a Murry with a 17.5 B&S Twin motor that runs awesome but it leaks on the left side of the bottom pan. I cleaned it very good and there is no doubt that's where it's leaking from when running. My question is, is it common? I've looked for hours with no luck. I don't think it's just blow by as it runs to good.

Thanks for any help with this.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

I've never seen an opposed twin leak at the sump gasket, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. Every engine gasket can go bad and start leaking.

troy-built

troy-built

Thanks for the reply, Yea I find it odd also. I cleaned it very good and got down with a light with it running and you can watch it run out of the pan. It's an old motor I believe it's from the 90s but it runs great.

troy-built

troy-built

My next question is, is it a big deal to replace the gasket? Working on a motor is no problem for me but I've never replaced one on a small motor.

B

bertsmobile1

The hardest part is getting the engine pulley off to get the engine out of the mower.
Expect to break an exhaust bolt .
The only trick is setting end float which is done by varying the number of gaskets .

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

I've got a Full service manual for the Twin i can upload/PM you some pages if you need.

troy-built

troy-built

The hardest part is getting the engine pulley off to get the engine out of the mower.
Expect to break an exhaust bolt .
The only trick is setting end float which is done by varying the number of gaskets .

The end float? So you need to figure how thick of a gasket you might need?

I might be wrong, I've been wrong before, but it looks like you can pull the motor intact and turn it upside down take off the pullys and pan and change the gasket. LOL I guess I'm looking at it like a small block chevy motor? Is it not that easy?

troy-built

troy-built

I've got a Full service manual for the Twin i can upload/PM you some pages if you need.
I will let you know and thanks for offering to help. I want to see if it's worth the trouble. I sure don't want to part it out as it's just to good of a mower.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

The end float? So you need to figure how thick of a gasket you might need?

I might be wrong, I've been wrong before, but it looks like you can pull the motor intact and turn it upside down take off the pullys and pan and change the gasket. LOL I guess I'm looking at it like a small block chevy motor? Is it not that easy?
That's how i did mine. I would also change the crankshaft seal, cheap insurance.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

if it's still working good and running good, it's definitely worth the effort.

the sump gaskets for this motor come in .005" thick, .009" and .015" thick.

Oil seal part, Briggs and Stratton 291675S

troy-built

troy-built

the sump gaskets for this motor come in .005" thick, .009" and .015" thick.

Oil seal part, Briggs and Stratton 291675S
Thank you, That is very helpful.

troy-built

troy-built

That's how i did mine. I would also change the crankshaft seal, cheap insurance.
Oh yea I wouldn't go that deep and not change that seal but thanks for the suggestion.

troy-built

troy-built

Yes it runs awesome. That's the only reason I'm even thinking about repairing it.

troy-built

troy-built

Good morning. Could you send me the pages that cover how they recommend changing the gasket? Also is it better to take off the pulleys before or after you pull the motor?

Many thanks for your help with this.

troy-built

troy-built

Sorry I just noticed this. So you have to remove the pulley before you pull the motor?

B

bertsmobile1

Varies mower to mowe but most only have a 2" hole for the PTO shaft and 4" to 6" pulleys
Flywheel can stay on but pulleys usually have to come off.
In any case they have to come off in order to get the sump off but it is a lot easier to remove if not in the mower

troy-built

troy-built

Varies mower to mowe but most only have a 2" hole for the PTO shaft and 4" to 6" pulleys
Flywheel can stay on but pulleys usually have to come off.
In any case they have to come off in order to get the sump off but it is a lot easier to remove if not in the mower
Got ya. Are the threads on the mower right hand or left hand?

Many thanks

troy-built

troy-built

I've been doing some reading and I found this interesting.

Although the original gasket had a weak spot wear it blows out. If you use some silicone when you put the new gasket on, its unlikely it will ever fail again. But if you just replace it, you should get 15 years out of it. Once the engine is off the chassis, it is very easy to replace the gasket. Opposed twin Briggs are great tractor engines and that gasket is the biggest known thing to go bad, otherwise these are very reliable engines.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Got ya. Are the threads on the mower right hand or left hand?

Many thanks
On mine it was righty tighty, lefty loosey.

troy-built

troy-built

On mine it was righty tighty, lefty loosey.
That's what I thought but I learned a long time a go on a motor of any kind it's better to ask just to be sure. Thanks

Oh by the way could you get me the pages out of your manual that's tells how they suggest to set up the float on the pan gasket?

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Here's all the manual says for the end float, (play)
Crankshaft end play is .002"-.026" on vertical crankshaft engines with a .015" gasket in place. If end play is less than .002" additional gaskets .005" , .009" may be added to obtain correct end play.
if end play is more than .026" with a .015" gasket in place, install thrust washer (PN 222951). install thrust washer on PTO end of crankshaft, install on the magneto side of crankshaft if there is a ball bearing in the PTO side only. then adjust end play as described in the previous paragraph ^^.

This video maybe more helpful than those few paragraphs.

troy-built

troy-built

Ok now I understand what you were talking about float/end play. Thanks for the video that was very helpful.

Thanks

Fish

Fish

Usually on the twins, you don't have to remove the exhaust pipes, they usually set down into the muffler mounted on the tractor.

troy-built

troy-built

Usually on the twins, you don't have to remove the exhaust pipes, they usually set down into the muffler mounted on the tractor.
Yea that's what is looks like to me also.

troy-built

troy-built

Well that was the easiest motor I have ever pulled. Nothing broke and it came right apart. Nothing was rusted or stuck. 45 min and it was on the work bench. Another 15 min and it was a part and I just ordered the gaskets and seals.

It should be back together next week.

Thanks again for the help.

Oh by the way you could tell the gasket was leaking it had oil on both sides of it in several places.

troy-built

troy-built

Not on this one the muffler was bolted to the motor, once the bolts were removed it slid right off very easily. It's a great design.

troy-built

troy-built

Update, My gaskets came in I put it all back together and it's running like new now with no leaks. Thanks for all the help.

Now to put on a new set of shoes as these are dry rotted BAD. Just ordered all 4.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

glad to hear it!

S

slomo

OIl is cheap. Wally's mart has a gallon of 30w for like $9.75. Is it pouring out or just making a small mess?

Hey nice fix. Glad to hear she is back up slinging grass.

slomo

troy-built

troy-built

Yea, I was amazed at how simple it really was. But I'm sure it not being rusted at all helped a lot.

Thanks again

troy-built

troy-built

OIl is cheap. Wally's mart has a gallon of 30w for like $9.75. Is it pouring out or just making a small mess?
Hey nice fix. Glad to hear she is back up slinging grass.

slomo

Yea oil is cheap but a gallon wouldn't have lasted long as bad as it was leaking. But it would have killed the grass so I wouldn't have had to cut it as much and as often. LOL

Oh yea it was very bad you could see where the gasket had blown out once I got it apart. Plus it only cost $25.00 to fix it. That was two gaskets and a seal.

I'm not using it to cut grass anymore as I have a zero turn now for that. I'm just going to use this one to aerate my lawn, pull trailers and such things as that. This one takes to long to cut grass. 5 hours longer. LOL

D

Doc8404

Similar situation on my twin Briggs 26 horse. Must be of different design as it is widely known to leak.
Bought a gasket and cam and will get to it eventually. For now, I slowed it down by 95% by pulling one bolt at a time and coated with black RTV. Then torqued. Next bolt and next until completed.

troy-built

troy-built

Similar situation on my twin Briggs 26 horse. Must be of different design as it is widely known to leak.
Bought a gasket and cam and will get to it eventually. For now, I slowed it down by 95% by pulling one bolt at a time and coated with black RTV. Then torqued. Next bolt and next until completed.

Man don't waste time doing that. Just pull the motor flip it upside down and take it apart it's very easy.