Murray drive forward / reverse

valenc01

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
Anyone have any information ( manual) or similar in order to look to adjust either the drive belts or check the fluid levels in a Murray Sentinel 145ic/102 ride on mower please? Im in Adelaide South Australia and am not having a great deal of luck with getting some info. I bought the mower second hand but it works fine apart from needing adjustment to the drive train set up I think.

regards Chris

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Welcome
Under the seat is a sticker with a number on it starting with 40 ( deck size in inches )
We need this number
You have the Asia / Eu spec machine if the decal on the side of the engine is 145 / 102 (engine Hp, 14.5 / deck in cm )
This might be a little different from the US model but the only on line information is for the US machines
On the rocker cover will be the engine numbers these have a date code in them and they can be helpful as well .
Depending upon he age you could have a hydro or manual transmission
Sentenial was a customer of Murray and Murray made mowers for them for a long time.
Hydro just has one pedal for forward & reverse, manual has a gear lever to go from F to R
Once you know the actual model code then Manuals library (www.Manualslib.com ) has most of the murray owners manuals there.
The owners manual usually has the parts manual at the back
And FWIW Victa sold the same ride on mowers branded Victa and painted green
4015X for the manual
4015HX for the hydro drive
These manuals are on the Outdoor king web page &/or Vintage mowers forum web page
despite having a .com URL both of these sites are based in OZ
OutdoorKing comes from Bruces shop in Concord NSW , while Vintage mowers is just an enthusiasts page.
Both of them will require you join & pay a $ 5/ y subscription if you want access to the data download section, the forum sections are free .

Big problem with Murray is it is now owned by B & S and now that the old franchise agreement has expired B & S distribute all original Murray parts and the warehouse will not bring in any part that does not sell in large enough volumes so some parts are hard to get .
Good thing is RGS who have a SA warehouse carry most service parts from good quality after market suppliers , Stens also do a line of parts , currently out of the Masport warehouse in Melbourne & Jakmax do a range of mostly poor quality Chinese copies parts from their Melbourne warehouse

Last edited:

valenc01

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your response. Very helpful. Ill start with the numbers under the seat.

valenc01

Forum Newbie
Threads
What can I do if the sticker is faded and I cant read the numbers any more? Is there any other reference numbers I can get? Who is RGS? Would you have contact details for them in Adelaide?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Roy Gripskie & sons
If the sticker is still there take some photos with a digital camera an different angles ( note camera not a phone )
Open the images in any photo editing app you have
From there increase the contrast and the number will appear
Your eyes do not see almost white and nearly almost white but the camera will.
Some times I have to resort to inverting the image , on some apps this is called "make negative"

valenc01

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok thanks will give it a try.

SlopeMan2

Threads
Hi,
Anyone have any information ( manual) or similar in order to look to adjust either the drive belts or check the fluid levels in a Murray Sentinel 145ic/102 ride on mower please? Im in Adelaide South Australia and am not having a great deal of luck with getting some info. I bought the mower second hand but it works fine apart from needing adjustment to the drive train set up I think.

regards Chris

SlopeMan2

Threads
Hi Valen. Was reading about your problem with the Murry. I was impressed about some advice that Bert gave you. He must be about as knowledgeable as anyone I know. I was interested how he suggested you take a picture of the faded sticker and ways to study it. Good luck. Just thought I would let you know I put around 1000 hours each on 2 Walmart Murry mowers years ago. I took good care of them, wore them nearly completely out, but still sold them with some life left in them. I kept them maintained - always stored inside, with clean oil and lots of grease. I advertised them as ready to mow, blades sharpen, clean oil that showed full on the dipstick with the manuals laying on the seat, and they sold to the first looker. Somehow, I never had any trouble with either the standard, or the automatic transmissions. The forward and reverse lever on the standard, had been shifted back and forth so many times, that it had worn and bent one end of the sheet metal where the shaft ran through. The wife did most of the mowing of 3 or 4 acres. Then, I would load it up and go mow the yard at a rental house at times. Here in Missouri, we have plenty of rocks etc. to deal with too. I was lucky I guess, but just goes to show how valuable excellent service is. Hope yours does as well.