Murray 30" MER no spark

Threads
Fortunately the mower is running. Unfortunately, I'm currently mowing without any safety features. The mower will start only by disconnecting the kill wire and crossing the solenoid with a screwdriver. The key is irrelevant. Of course this route disables all safety features. I use the same screwdriver to short the spark plug to ground to kill the engine. Not ideal but it works. As long as I don't fall off of the mower. My best guess is the wire harness may be shorted somewhere. I ordered two momentary push switches, one to start and one to kill but haven't done anything with them yet.

Threads
Yes. I always make sure to disengage the blade before killing the engine. Because of course, in normal circumstances, it wouldn't start. Another disabled safety feature to worry about. I have the exhaust chute covered with a mulch cover but still, not advisable.

Threads
It never fails to amaze me what people will do to mower wiring rather to work out which part has failed .
If you have any helpful suggestions I would be grateful to hear them because I have tried literally everything I can think of. I didn't just begin by jacking the wiring.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You make some bypass jumper leads that have a male terminal at each end
Get a globe and hook some wires to it
Connect one end to a power source and the other to the magneto kill wire
The kill wire is normally open circuit then goes to ground to stop the engine
SO if the kill circuit has a short some where, the globe will light
Now one at a time bypass each switch to the running condition and watch the light
The switch you bypass that causes the light to go out is the faulty one or the wiring between the switch & the previous one is shorting to the frame.
Works best if you get a circuit diagram and work backwards from the magneto to the key switch.
Safety switches should always be back tested at the plug because silly things like the switch shifting a little can mean while the switch itself is working the mower does not move the plunger far enough to activate it
I regularly put a self tapper into the end of plungers to compensate for wear not depressing the plunger far enough to work.

Threads
You make some bypass jumper leads that have a male terminal at each end
Get a globe and hook some wires to it
Connect one end to a power source and the other to the magneto kill wire
The kill wire is normally open circuit then goes to ground to stop the engine
SO if the kill circuit has a short some where, the globe will light
Now one at a time bypass each switch to the running condition and watch the light
The switch you bypass that causes the light to go out is the faulty one or the wiring between the switch & the previous one is shorting to the frame.
Works best if you get a circuit diagram and work backwards from the magneto to the key switch.
Safety switches should always be back tested at the plug because silly things like the switch shifting a little can mean while the switch itself is working the mower does not move the plunger far enough to activate it
I regularly put a self tapper into the end of plungers to compensate for wear not depressing the plunger far enough to work.
Sorry but, globe?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Light globe
Old headlamps work well for this purpose

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
It never fails to amaze me what people will do to mower wiring rather to work out which part has failed .
Spend more time and energy "rigging" it up than repairing it. LOL

Just wait till the screwdriver gets welded to the starter and burns the mower and his house to the ground.

Threads
I have no old headlamps lying around and cannot think of any other 12V type light device to use. My vehicle has been broke down in my driveway for the past couple of months and nowhere within walking distance. I also have a water leak under my house requiring me to turn on the water only as needed. It's been a difficult summer and I've had to pick my battles. If anyone has any suggestions of something suitable for the purpose I could order from Amazon I would be able to do that.