Repairs Muffler issues

smietame312

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I have a snapper Sr 928 model 280915BE and it needs a muffler I think. I purchased the mower used which was not running until I made some repairs, and it wasnt to long before I noticed that there was extremely hot air blowing on the electrical wires under the seat, which caused some melting to the plastic around the wires. I am not that mechanically inclined so not sure if the engine is modified or not but am wondering if someone can take a look at the pic I provided and let me know if I am on the right track. Thanks for your help in advance.

Attachments

• IMAG0084.jpg
    IMAG0084.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 23

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to these Forums...

Hot air, not a problem on wiring... Hot exhaust gasses on the other hand Will melt the insulation and short out the wiring... if it is exhaust gasses getting to the wiring, check for a hole in the muffler near those wires, Also check for a failed muffler gasket...
if nothing else place a metal shield between the wiring and the exhaust/muffler... :smile:KennyV

BustedKnuckles

Threads
Hi, I have a snapper Sr 928 model 280915BE and it needs a muffler I think. I purchased the mower used which was not running until I made some repairs, and it wasnt to long before I noticed that there was extremely hot air blowing on the electrical wires under the seat, which caused some melting to the plastic around the wires. I am not that mechanically inclined so not sure if the engine is modified or not but am wondering if someone can take a look at the pic I provided and let me know if I am on the right track. Thanks for your help in advance.

Install one of these and be done. CHECK PART NUMBERS FOR COMPATIBILITY WITH YOUR ENGINE/MUFFLER BEFORE BUYING, MANY STYLES AND SIZES OF THESE ARE AVAILABLE. LINK IS FOR REFERENCE ONLY.

MUFFLER DEFLECTOR for Briggs and Stratton 393761 795036 | 110148

smietame312

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the responses and it definitely needs a new muffler just not sure which one. What's the best way to determine that?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Remove the old one and Get the Largest, Quietest one you can fit...
You can measure the mounting bolt spacing and old muffler to get a starting point, the Larger the quieter... But It Must clear everything. Those two bolts you see on the inside top are what mounts it to the exhaust port, there will also be a gasket between the engine & muffler. Check there may be a forestry approved spark retarding muffler that is available... You don't need the spark arresting feature But they are generally a bit Quieter.
:smile:KennyV