MTD wont go at low speed.

hms09

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all. I am new to the forum but know I have come to the right place for some advise/help. I have a 2006 MTD Yard Machines. Runs perfectly except it will not go up the slightest hill when the speed selector is anywhere from 1-4. If I put it in 4 or above it will move but then the problem is that's to fast. Is this most likely a stretched belt or a transmission problem??

Thanks in advance,
Harry

Butchie

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all. I am new to the forum but know I have come to the right place for some advise/help. I have a 2006 MTD Yard Machines. Runs perfectly except it will not go up the slightest hill when the speed selector is anywhere from 1-4. If I put it in 4 or above it will move but then the problem is that's to fast. Is this most likely a stretched belt or a transmission problem??

Thanks in advance,
Harry

I have the same problem I can pop the clutch and it will get me up the incline I have replaced drive belt and adjusted brake still have the problem any help would be appreciated.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I will try to answer both your questions at the same time. first off worn belts can cause drive issues. the next thing to check is the engine drive pulley, and the variable drive pulley between the two belts will get a groove worn in them, and will cause the belt to slip. I have seen engine drive pulleys with a groove that actually cut all the way through the pulley.

The wide drive belt grips the variable pulley real well, but only runs on the inside part of the groove at the engine pulley. It is like running a 5/8 belt in a pulley designed for a 1/2 inch pulley.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
And make sure you replace both belts

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

Butchie

Forum Newbie
Threads
I will try to answer both your questions at the same time. first off worn belts can cause drive issues. the next thing to check is the engine drive pulley, and the variable drive pulley between the two belts will get a groove worn in them, and will cause the belt to slip. I have seen engine drive pulleys with a groove that actually cut all the way through the pulley.

The wide drive belt grips the variable pulley real well, but only runs on the inside part of the groove at the engine pulley. It is like running a 5/8 belt in a pulley designed for a 1/2 inch pulley.

Thanks for the info the belt pushes way down into both pullys sounds like this may be my problem it is a 2006 with alot of use will let you know outcome when I get the pulleys.