MTD of unknown date.

Hush

Threads
Hi people, firstly thanks for allowing me to join this forum, I hail from New Zealand. I recently purchased a rather sad MTD Ride-on mower and even though many sites on Google try to explain what my model numbers mean, none of them succeeded in enlightening me. So my first question is can someone give me a date my machine was produced? 13AC478A670 is the number. My second question and it may seem silly but are MTD mowers positive to earth or negative to earth as the battery is missing and the cables are crossed up.

Attachments

• Mower.jpg
    Mower.jpg
    477 KB · Views: 4

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Negative ground
No date code in that model number
13=Ride on mower
A = retail product
c= engine
4 = frame size ( medium )
7 = Variable sheave pulley with 7 preset speeds
8 = colour & trim code
A= 30" deck with metal rear catcher
670 = customer ID

The year is coded into the serial number
If you have a B & S engine the year is also coded into the serial number of the engine which is stamped into the top of the rocker cover .
Under the seat and next to the battery where it is impossible to get at is the main 20 A fuse .
If the battery has been hooked up backwards that fuse normally blows .

Hush

Threads
Thanks at least I will get the battery in the correct way. I think the machine is a 2003 model, single cylinder Briggs & Stratton engine.

Attachments

• motor bigger.jpg
    motor bigger.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 11

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are correct on the date, but could be 2004 if they used a leftover engine at the beginning of the 2004 manufacturing year.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So you know how it works, the B * S code number 2003 - March - 28 Last bit does not mater

Hush

Threads
Cheers guys, more dumb questions to come.