MTD Cub Cadet 42 inch deck belt size

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Here my MTD part price file says the belt PN 754-3073 is 61 inches.

Now in post 10 deck are similar but not the same. One question what does the belt configuration looks with the tension locked in place?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The other deck is a 36 or 38 inch deck which is different again.
So the first thing is to make sure the tension arm swings freely when the drive pulley is locked in the drive position.
Often the spacers are worn or even missing and the tension arm is not free.
Then as previously mentioned there should be a hole in the plate that has the deck hangers welded on to it.
IN your photo it looks to be about where the edge of the belt is crossing the edge of the plate just in front oof the right deck hanger.

Another word of warning about these decks is MTD has discontinued them so once the supply of blade spindles is gone, that is it.
SO be careful when you do the spindles up not to over tighten the bearings and make sure the spindles get a stroke of grease every month.
The 2000 series is a full commercial mower and should last a home owner 20 years at least.
Unfortunately it came out just as commercial mowing contractors were all switching to ZTR.s
I have about 30 or so in my run and am always on the look out for cheap ones to renovate & sell .

wrldtvlr

Threads
You are correct on the spring locator below I have an internet picture of what looks like a deck exactly like mine and compared to mine it is quite clear the spring is located in a different spot. The first picture is the internet picture and mine is the second
View attachment 53368View attachment 53369
The angle on the idler arm is reversed between the two photos.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well Slowy, if you clicked on the link you would have seen a comprehensive answer sent about 6 hours ago .
As far as I can see the belt is right, but the spring is anchored to the wrong hole and might even be wrong to boot, belt is right
Mechanic Mark generally chimes in with a link to the parts lists & manuals page on the Cub web site which may or may not work depending upon if it is locality locked.
Some times I can access it & some times not so I don't post links to ot because it is really frustrating following a dead link.
Homie,
If you can not get onto the Cub page you will find you parts manual & repair manual on the K & C Spares web page in the Cub Cadet section but the ones on the cub site are better & more specific.
No need attempting justification for your abrasive action Bert. This is the internet not the Supreme Court. We are all human and most of us, not you I guess, make mistakes. ME, I make them daily.

slowy

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well Slowy we will just have to agree to dissagree.
It is a cultural difference between Americans & the rest of the world .
What you consider to be abrasive we consider to be clear plain request ( denoted by the use of the world please & refrain ) .
Further more there is no need for you to be offended on Homfields behalf as he was clearly not offended and in agreemen with double posting causing confusion .
Finally there was no attempt at justification because there was nothing done that needed to be justified.
All that was written in the reply was the same as was writtten in the previous reply in the MTD section which you had obviously not bothered to look at before you took the oppertunity to repremand me.
I would also draw your attention to the fact that in every response I have provided Homefield with good & useful information.
You have contributed nothing of any value to this thread and I would like to suggest in a polite way you take your own advice on internet forum etiquette and find some useful advice to post for Homefield.
Oh and haaave a niceee daayee

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The angle on the idler arm is reversed between the two photos.
Yes you observation is correct because the tension spring is not pulling the arm to the right because it is anchored to a place too far to the left.
There was a problem with the domestic Cub decks a while back that involved fitting a smaller pulley and moving the spring to the left .

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well Slowy we will just have to agree to dissagree.
It is a cultural difference between Americans & the rest of the world .
What you consider to be abrasive we consider to be clear plain request ( denoted by the use of the world please & refrain ) .
Further more there is no need for you to be offended on Homfields behalf as he was clearly not offended and in agreemen with double posting causing confusion .
Finally there was no attempt at justification because there was nothing done that needed to be justified.
All that was written in the reply was the same as was writtten in the previous reply in the MTD section which you had obviously not bothered to look at before you took the oppertunity to repremand me.
I would also draw your attention to the fact that in every response I have provided Homefield with good & useful information.
You have contributed nothing of any value to this thread and I would like to suggest in a polite way you take your own advice on internet forum etiquette and find some useful advice to post for Homefield.
Oh and haaave a niceee daayee
That's it Bert? I'm with you. You probably don't want me to be as plain spoken as you are. Like you said we have a different culture. (y)

Slowy

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Maybe we need to step back and look at it differently..........
Sorry about the crude graphics, but it was just easier for me...

belt 001.JPG

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Maybe we need to step back and look at it differently..........
Sorry about the crude graphics, but it was just easier for me...

View attachment 53382

Wrong deck Fish
HE has a 2000 series Cub and was given the correct length belt
The genuine Cub / MTD belt is 62.25" but of course because it is a CUB belt it is neither a standard section nor V angle
A Std A section belt ends up being 62" and a 4L is 61" just depends whose aftermarket belt you are using .

He has everything right except for the anchor point for the tension spring which he has anchored to a bolt between the 2 spindles
in the diagram below the spring # 14 anchors to one of 3 places ( because there seem to be variations in the deck
1) to an extended bolt second from the right on the mounting plate # 2
2) to a hole in a similar position
3 ) to a hole in the right hand deck hanger mount

Untitled.jpg

Homefield

Threads
Thank you every one for your info. Below are pictures of the deck with the belt tensioned.
Picture below shows how close the idler is to turret
tensioned.jpg

Tensioned with cover.jpg

Picture below shows where there is hole in the plate at the end of the pen, but this hole does no go through the deck. I may drill this out and put in a bolt to anchor the spring.
Potential hole.jpg

Thank you all for assisting me