MTD Cub Cadet 42 inch deck belt size

Homefield

Threads
I have a MTD Cub Cadet HDS 2165 with a 42 inch 2 blade deck. The machine model number is 13A-265G603. I require a new deck belt, I have approached two MTD parts suppliers and both have said that according to MTD Cub Cadet the belt should be a 754-3073 belt (62.10 inch) but this is too big the idler hits the housing when in operation when belt tensioned. I think that that belt is for a three blade deck and not a 2 blade. Can anyone help on belt size or even a part number. The machine was made by MTD, Saarbruecken, Germany
MTD deck.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:

wrldtvlr

Threads
One option might bring the old belt to an auto parts store. They usually have a belt measurement device. As long as you aren't missing any pieces of the belt, you might get close.

Homefield

Threads
One option might bring the old belt to an auto parts store. They usually have a belt measurement device. As long as you aren't missing any pieces of the belt, you might get close.
The issue I've got is that when it was serviced a few years ago they put a new belt onto it, then is was never the same again, straight after that the mower was not used and put to one side as there was another mower which could be used. I have since inherited it and now trying to get it cutting properly I have now worked out why it was not working correctly, it seems that when they serviced the deck that it is when they used the wrong belt. When it worked it was a lovely machine, even though it is old it is in very good condition, I have tuned the engine and it is now running very well so I would like to get the deck into operation. I have fitted a new idler pulley as the other one due to the belt being too long was hitting the turret cover.

Homefield

Threads
The problem I'm getting is that as the machine is so old the MTD Cub Cadet dealer nearby is not really interested in delving down into old parts catalogues. He simply asked my the details of my machine inc serial number and went on MTD importer parts website who quoted the part 754-3073 and even though I know its wrong all I get from him is that that is what is says on the MTD parts list for that model. From doing some looking through the internet it would seem my machine was supposed to only have one deck option being a 42inch 3 blade deck here in Europe however I have a 42 inch 2 blade deck. I know that other machines in the 2000 series did have a 42 deck 2 blade option but I cannot find the belt part number. If I could find the belt part number I could then get the length from which I can either get from MTD or just go to an agricultural parts supplier who will be able to find the nearest belt to match. From my looking at the deck and seeing where the idler should sit, I estimate that the belt should be 1 to 2 inches shorter. I may in the end just have to estimate a length and get one from my local agricultural machine parts supplier who can get most cross section of belts to the nearest length I have estimated.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is a real PIA when people double post the same thing in two different places
Please see the answer posted elsewhere
and please refrain from double posting in different sections of the forum
other listing

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
It is a real PIA when people double post the same thing in two different places
Please see the answer posted elsewhere
and please refrain from double posting in different sections of the forum
other listing
Isn't this the cub cadet section? Guy needs a belt. What's wrong with this post exactly? I'm not seeing it.

You might lighten up on the internet forum etiquette and help someone in need. (y)

slomo

Homefield

Threads
I do understand Bertsmobile1's comment and it is valid, as I have posted the same question on the Cub Cadet section as well as the MTD section as I am not too sure whether the same people would view each section. Here in the UK the machine was badged MTD Cub Cadet so looking on websites it is always confusing as to whether to go to MTD or Club Cadet sections. If one of the forum moderators believes that the two posts replies should be merged into a single post on only one of the two section please feel free to undertake this. Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Isn't this the cub cadet section? Guy needs a belt. What's wrong with this post exactly? I'm not seeing it.

You might lighten up on the internet forum etiquette and help someone in need. (y)

slomo
Well Slowy, if you clicked on the link you would have seen a comprehensive answer sent about 6 hours ago .
As far as I can see the belt is right, but the spring is anchored to the wrong hole and might even be wrong to boot, belt is right
Mechanic Mark generally chimes in with a link to the parts lists & manuals page on the Cub web site which may or may not work depending upon if it is locality locked.
Some times I can access it & some times not so I don't post links to ot because it is really frustrating following a dead link.
Homie,
If you can not get onto the Cub page you will find you parts manual & repair manual on the K & C Spares web page in the Cub Cadet section but the ones on the cub site are better & more specific.

Homefield

Threads
Well Slowy, if you clicked on the link you would have seen a comprehensive answer sent about 6 hours ago .
As far as I can see the belt is right, but the spring is anchored to the wrong hole and might even be wrong to boot, belt is right
Mechanic Mark generally chimes in with a link to the parts lists & manuals page on the Cub web site which may or may not work depending upon if it is locality locked.
Some times I can access it & some times not so I don't post links to ot because it is really frustrating following a dead link.
Homie,
If you can not get onto the Cub page you will find you parts manual & repair manual on the K & C Spares web page in the Cub Cadet section but the ones on the cub site are better & more specific.
You are correct on the spring locator below I have an internet picture of what looks like a deck exactly like mine and compared to mine it is quite clear the spring is located in a different spot. The first picture is the internet picture and mine is the second
InkedCub-Cadet-Deck_LI.jpgInkedMTD deck_LI.jpg