MS-310 Chain Lube Leaking----Need HELP!

bt3

Threads
I'm not sure i can contribute anything more than you've already read in the previous posts.

I would like to add that as Stihl owner for over 10 years, I am very happy with Stihl Chainsaws. However, I disagree with your southern buddies saying that only a Sthl is a "Real" chainsaw. Husqvarna makes some fantastic saws. If you look at professional logging and guys whom run Tree Service companies, it's almost a tie between Stihl and Husky. It's honestly 50/50.

As I've posted in other threads, both saws have their strengths and weaknesses. To boil it down to very quick one liners, Stihl tends to have more broadband torque and power to get through the toughest wood. Husky tends to have a higher revving saw with the advantage of quicker cutting that is especially handy for that final cut when felling a tree and getting out of the way. Those higher revs potentially cause early wear on bars, chains and motors. Stih's lower revs potentially cut productivity if you are trying to get through a lot of wood quickly. There are other things to consider, but my opinion? Flip a coin. Husy heads, Stihl tail and buy either.

Since you HAVE a Stihl, go with it. It's a GREAT saw. If you really and truly want a Husky, fix that Stihl, sell it and buy yourself a Husky. With EITHER saw, you will have a great saw.

The point of my post is that I don't think you are jinxed. Any saw can give you a headache. I've heard some of the big box store model Huskies (Like you find at Lowes) have been a problem for owners. Some won't buy Husky because they sell to Mass Merch. Others won't buy Stihl because you can only get them through Dealers. But...You just never know. Go with what you want and be content. One advantage to me is my Stihl dealer. He's fantastic. There is no Husky dealer near me and I'm sure not taking to to Lowes for repair. I actually do most of my repairs too, but it's nice to have a dealer that I can trust just in case.

Keep us posted on that repair. We may have the same problem some day and your report may help us.

redbaron169

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm not sure i can contribute anything more than you've already read in the previous posts.

I would like to add that as Stihl owner for over 10 years, I am very happy with Stihl Chainsaws. However, I disagree with your southern buddies saying that only a Sthl is a "Real" chainsaw. Husqvarna makes some fantastic saws. If you look at professional logging and guys whom run Tree Service companies, it's almost a tie between Stihl and Husky. It's honestly 50/50.

As I've posted in other threads, both saws have their strengths and weaknesses. To boil it down to very quick one liners, Stihl tends to have more broadband torque and power to get through the toughest wood. Husky tends to have a higher revving saw with the advantage of quicker cutting that is especially handy for that final cut when felling a tree and getting out of the way. Those higher revs potentially cause early wear on bars, chains and motors. Stih's lower revs potentially cut productivity if you are trying to get through a lot of wood quickly. There are other things to consider, but my opinion? Flip a coin. Husy heads, Stihl tail and buy either.

Since you HAVE a Stihl, go with it. It's a GREAT saw. If you really and truly want a Husky, fix that Stihl, sell it and buy yourself a Husky. With EITHER saw, you will have a great saw.

The point of my post is that I don't think you are jinxed. Any saw can give you a headache. I've heard some of the big box store model Huskies (Like you find at Lowes) have been a problem for owners. Some won't buy Husky because they sell to Mass Merch. Others won't buy Stihl because you can only get them through Dealers. But...You just never know. Go with what you want and be content. One advantage to me is my Stihl dealer. He's fantastic. There is no Husky dealer near me and I'm sure not taking to to Lowes for repair. I actually do most of my repairs too, but it's nice to have a dealer that I can trust just in case.

Keep us posted on that repair. We may have the same problem some day and your report may help us.

I'm in nearly total agreement with you.....and I do appreciate each and every response to my "PLEA" for HELP!
Really am reluctant to put a self tapping screw in that HOLE. I'd prefer to discover exactly what is supposed to be in that HOLE; and put the correct part back in it.
The same Dealer that performed my "Servicing" also offered to plug that HOLE with a SCREW......I'm hoping for a MIRACLE DISCOVERY of the correct "ORANGE THINGY".
Although, I really do know how to "RIG"; I'd prefer not to. I will have to break out the OLD Husky if I don't get an answer pretty quick......Gotta keep the BOSS WARM.....

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I'm in nearly total agreement with you.....and I do appreciate each and every response to my "PLEA" for HELP!
Really am reluctant to put a self tapping screw in that HOLE. I'd prefer to discover exactly what is supposed to be in that HOLE; and put the correct part back in it.
The same Dealer that performed my "Servicing" also offered to plug that HOLE with a SCREW......I'm hoping for a MIRACLE DISCOVERY of the correct "ORANGE THINGY".
Although, I really do know how to "RIG"; I'd prefer not to. I will have to break out the OLD Husky if I don't get an answer pretty quick......Gotta keep the BOSS WARM.....

Generally if it is not shown on the perts break up then it is not a service removable part and that usually means a supposed perminant blanking plug.

Nwatson99

Threads
One of my Buddies sent a photo of his MS-310....See attached......Do you know if there is a STIHL Part # for this?

This ORANGE THINGY is missing off my Stihl; and all my Chain Lube is being pumped out this hole!

Sorry really late to the party, if you have not already replaced it do not get the orange plug, those will pop out over time and pressure.
You want the metal cone shape screw "which you can get at the Stihl Dealer", it will cut its own threads right in there and you do not have to worry about it coming out again unless the case cracks and allows it do. I have added them to three saws for different people myself and once they are there, they are there.