Mowing in Reverse

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Due to mowing conditions, I do a lot of reverse travel and the mow in reverse safety becomes a nuisance. When safety is NOT a concern at SandburRanch I've found a simple temporary over ride on the X350 for the mow in reverse button. Not disconnecting any wires it can be accomplished from the seat in seconds for either safety or no safety in reverse. Can even be accomplished while traveling.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm 68 & try to avoid mowing in reverse unless absolutely necessary.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm 80 and don't have all that much time remaining so I'm always looking for the fastest and most economical way. Alot to do and a short time to do it.

IaFarmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm 80 and don't have all that much time remaining so I'm always looking for the fastest and most economical way. Alot to do and a short time to do it.
I use a cloths-pin on the power button, just lift it up and put the pin on under the little ridge on the button.

Lawn Addict
Threads
My former Toro & my new Scag Liberty will mow in Reverse, no problem.

Long ago my Craftsman rider needed to have ignition key turned back one click to mow in R. So I always just put it there after start-up.

bkeller500

Threads
Can anyone explain to us why a lawn tractor has a Reverse mow switch but a Zero Turn does not require one.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well several consumer grade ZTRs do have full reverse inhibit modes. Some simply cut out the deck until forward motion or neutral is applied. But I have a worked on a few once they disable the PTO the PTO switch must cycled to regain deck operations. Even some riders are beginning to have this feature over the manual system but those require a relay control system which is more costly.

This assumes an electric PTO is used but manual PTO systems can not done via relay as there is no clutch to disengage.

This safety issue has come in exsistance due operators being more careless nowadays than in the past due to all the electronic distractions available.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most likely because no one has sued a ZTR maker because the idiot operator has reversed over them, their child etc and won a massive claim,,, yet .
Some do cut out if both lap bars are in full reverse.
Once upon a time if you ran over your child when mowing , driving your car etc, you would be arrested then go to court and most likely gaol
Now days you sue the vehicle maker because it has become their fault you are a stupid , careless , lazy idiot .
We change the laws down here a while back so if your child got $ 10,000,000 because you accidentially injured them , you can never ever touch one cent of the money.
All of the compensation has to go into trust for the child which is administered either by the government or a private trust company and that includes the legal bills.
Apparently that dropped the civil damages drastically
The next step is to ban the no win no fee lawyers .
New Zealand went one step better by bringing in government run compensation so if you are injured you just put in a claim, a tribunal asses your claim and th money starts to flow from day one.
However there are no lump sums , you get an income stream based on what you were earning ( or could have been earning ) indexed for inflation + medical costs forever + whatever dissability support you need .
We are looking very closely at the same system
You still can sue for damages, but if you do there is no income till the case is heard and that can be several years plus the judges look at your case more as profiteering than compensation . Claims for pain & suffering have been abolished .
Lawyers hate it , insurance companies love it and they donate more to political parties .

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As for electronic devices , right now we are looking at a manditory 2/3 reductions is pay outs if you were on a phone / tablet at the time you were injured on the grounds of contributory neglegence .